SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thoroughly confused!

Today I noticed a creak/squeak when I'm at low speeds on my 08 9-3 with 85K. The noise is apparent at low speeds (sometimes not even going over any large bumps), so when i got home tonight, i pushed on the passenger left front side, and voila, there's the noise. You do need to push and pull quite a bit on the body to hear it, but it's there...and you can hear it.

Now for my, albeit high-level, "diagnosis":

Visually, the sway bar and control arm bushings appear to be in great shape; no cracks, splits, or signs of dryness. All in all, everything looks quite new and clean. Interestingly though, when prompting the noise by pressing on the car, i can actually feel it in the control arm, especially towards the wheel; i can not feel any vibrations in any other part of the suspension. Also, it sounds as though the noise is echoing inside of the wheel itself leading me to believe it's the far end of the control arm?

Considering my year/miles any thoughts? Need of lubrication on that bushing perhaps? There is no looseness in the steering or clunking, though i do sometimes hear a click on that side when turning the wheel at low speeds.

For what it's worth, the weather is hot and humid here...typically, I've only encountered suspension noises in winter.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just started noticing a creak/squeak in my 08 aero today as well, its also been making a clicking noise when i turn the steering wheel. I am assuming it is just the bushings as the creaks sound like the struts are moving but who knows ill let you know what my mechanic says tommorow.

·
Registered
267 Posts
there are a couple things that start to squeak on these cars. the rear bushing(aluminium casing) on the front control arm will start sqeaking, the upper strut mount/bearing, and the strut. 9 times out of 10 its the strut. if you can get the front up in the air, grab the tire with the car off and turn it side to side pretty aggressively. if you hear it by doing that its the strut. they start wearing internally and make that noise. when i was working for Saab we did a few of those for that concern.

·
Registered
707 Posts
"its also been making a clicking noise when i turn the steering wheel."

As regards that part of the issue: sounds like backplates (warped maybe) are culprit. Were replaced under warranty on my Turbo X not long ago...had identical symptoms (at low speed, sharp angle). Technician immediately diagnosed...no problem since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

I remember a similar noise in my 05 so i called the dealer this morning to find out what they did; lower control arm bushing replacement.

Think i'll jack the car up and have a push/pull on a few things to see if i can further isolate the noise...so annoying when you're driving along! Hopefully it's just the bushings...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts