SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since the dealer quoted me $90 for oil change, I decided to do it myself.

The best Mobile 1 fully syntetic available at W-Mart would run me about $35 for 6 qts.

The only question is, what viscosity should I go with ? I am thinking of 5W30 as a "safe bet", any other recommendations ? Also,has anyone used Fram "Premium Guard" filters - are they OK.

Tx !

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I prefer the 0W40, the wider range means you'll be OK both in the cold michigan winter and in the summer. Unfortunately, you can't get it at Wal-Mart (at least near me). Autozone, Advance Auto etc have it, so it's not super rare.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have used the Fram filters, no problem so far. I wouldn't use anything but Mobile 1 0w40 since you want to keep your warrantee valid. Keep your receipts.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have used the Fram filters, no problem so far. I wouldn't use anything but Mobile 1 0w40 since you want to keep your warrantee valid. Keep your receipts.
Also available in the US that meets the GM-LL-025A standards is Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula available at Autozone. Total Quartz Energy 9000 0W-30 also meets it but seems to be available only at independent auto parts stores in the Midwest, a few others places, some VW dealers, and online. There are also really rare brands like Lubri Moly available online. In short, not too many oils in the US that meet the specs.

You probably won't ruin your engine using non-spec oil but you also won't save any money.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Not using Mobil 1 0W40 will not void a Warranty, as long as regular maint.is performed following the recommended Interval of the Oil Used.

Where do people come up with this stuff :roll:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Where 'bouts in Michigan??

S-G Imported Auto Parts has a number of stores in the lower part of the state and sell the Total Quartz Energy 9000 for a pretty good price. If you can't find the Mobil-1 on sale, their cost for the Total brand will be less.

http://www.sgparts.com/

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Well..............

Not using Mobil 1 0W40 will not void a Warranty, as long as regular maint.is performed following the recommended Interval of the Oil Used.

Technically speaking, since SAAB states that the oil used must meet a specific standard/rating, Aspen is correct.

Realistically, you are correct since I can't imagine a Dealer Service Manager ever actually testing the oil unless there was catastrophic engine failure. But don't use this as justification for buying SA rated oil at your local Dollar General. :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

I think they could Jonv. With all the horror stories about cra*** dealers it is certainly possible. Also the wrong tranny fluid. The specs are there for a reason and one is the ability to deny warranty coverage.

And I'd only use an oem filter to the original poster.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
No he is not correct, he specifically said "I wouldn't use anything but Mobile 1 0w40 since you want to keep your warrantee valid." , not using Mobil 1 would not void the warranty. There are several Oils besides Mobil 1 0W40 that meet the GM Spec...

Elf Evolution
Gulf Formula GMX
Quartz total Energy (ELF Excellium)
Castrol Syntec Euro
Amsoil Euro
Ravenol LSG
GMCOil
and of course,
Royal Purple

Secondly it is the "Recommended Oil" not a Required Oil. My manual recomends Saab Turbo Oil 0W30 or Mobil 1 0W40. When they made it, Saab Turbo Oil was Elf, as was the Factory fill.

Mobil 1 only came into the picture with GM and the SS. Product Placement, like the Pirelli tires.... the best deal and adequate, not the best tire.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
No he is not correct, he specifically said "I wouldn't use anything but Mobile 1 0w40 since you want to keep your warrantee valid." , not using Mobil 1 would not void the warranty. There are several Oils besides Mobil 1 0W40 that meet the GM Spec...

Elf Evolution
Gulf Formula GMX
Quartz total Energy (ELF Excellium)
Castrol Syntec Euro
Amsoil Euro
Ravenol LSG
GMCOil
and of course,
Royal Purple

Secondly it is the "Recommended Oil" not a Required Oil. My manual recomends Saab Turbo Oil 0W30 or Mobil 1 0W40. When they made it, Saab Turbo Oil was Elf, as was the Factory fill.

Mobil 1 only came into the picture with GM and the SS. Product Placement, like the Pirelli tires.... the best deal and adequate, not the best tire.
All technically true, but unless you want to mail order your oil, for most of us in the US, Mobil 1 0W40 is the most practical choice. And since the little sticker under the hood recommends it, there's zero chance of warranty hassles and arguements later if you use it. I think I agree with Cosmic's suggestion about the OE filter, too. If you buy this from a dealer, you have pretty solid evidence that you've done the change properly. Umma's car is brand new, no need to risk arguments later on, even if other options for the oil and filter work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Actually the manual for 2008 model lists 5W30 as one of the allowed oils, however it seems most people prefer 0W40. The local WalMarts do carry it, it's just the matter of finding it on shelves - the one near me only had 3 qts, will check the one near work.

"
Approved oils​
For all gasoline engines - synthetic engine oil - approved
against the GM-LL-A-025 specification. To benefit from Saab​
´s
specified service intervals, pleasure ensure to select a synthetic
engine oil approved against GM-LL-A-025.
For optimum performance Saab recommends the use of Saab

Long Life Turbo Oil SAE 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 or 5W-40."

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hi,

Since the dealer quoted me $90 for oil change, I decided to do it myself.

The best Mobile 1 fully syntetic available at W-Mart would run me about $35 for 6 qts.

The only question is, what viscosity should I go with ? I am thinking of 5W30 as a "safe bet", any other recommendations ? Also,has anyone used Fram "Premium Guard" filters - are they OK.

Tx !

Wow, you already went through your 3 free dealer oil changes? I just finished mine and I have an '07...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, you already went through your 3 free dealer oil changes? I just finished mine and I have an '07...
I commute 25 miles one way, mainly freeway.

It's also the primary car used on the weekends and for family trips. My wife's got an '09 9-3 combi last July, just before the GM bankruptcy (had we waited and we'd get a ridiculously low price on it.. but then we would've been too scared to buy). She works close to home, so I try to put our "shared" miles on my car, which is going to be high-mileage anyway. I'm doing between 16-17K a year.

Anyway, the Wal-Mart close to work had M1 0W40 in stock, so I am all set !

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

You need to relax a little. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
My point is that using only Mobil 1 0w40 gives GM no room to wiggle out of warrantee coverage. Also it is readily availabe so why make your life difficult. I never said that it was the only oil that would keep the warrantee.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
You need to relax a little. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
My point is that using only Mobil 1 0w40 gives GM no room to wiggle out of warrantee coverage. Also it is readily availabe so why make your life difficult. I never said that it was the only oil that would keep the warrantee.
That makes perfect sense. Plus the M1 0W40 is probably the best oil out there for our cars (especially the 2.0). This based on numerous used oil analysis I've done over the years. If anybody has their own analysis we have not seen please post them and show otherwise.
Until then M1 0W40 is the best way to go for performance and practicality purposes.
And btw I'm running the Royal Purple 0W40 now and will do an UOA. I doubt it will go as far considering they don't have the GM LL 025 spec and only say up to 12,000 mi. where M1 can go up to 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Thanks. Actually the manual for 2008 model lists 5W30 as one of the allowed oils, however it seems most people prefer 0W40. The local WalMarts do carry it, it's just the matter of finding it on shelves - the one near me only had 3 qts, will check the one near work.

"
Approved oils​
For all gasoline engines - synthetic engine oil - approved
against the GM-LL-A-025 specification. To benefit from Saab​
´s
specified service intervals, pleasure ensure to select a synthetic
engine oil approved against GM-LL-A-025.
For optimum performance Saab recommends the use of Saab

Long Life Turbo Oil SAE 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 or 5W-40."

I would like to see a 5W30 that meets the GM Spec.... there are none in the US, Europe.. yes. Although the 97 and 92 use 5W30, they are not Saabs... they are a Trailblazer and a Subaru....

@Jmarkert, I do not dispute 0W40 is the most practical Oil and more available than most of the others.... but even using mineral and changing at that Oil's recommeded Intervals will not void a warranty.

·
Registered
306 Posts
[QUOssE=JonV;1752164]I would like to see a 5W30 that meets the GM Spec.... there are none in the US, Europe.. yes. Although the 97 and 92 use 5W30, they are not Saabs... they are a Trailblazer and a Subaru....

@Jmarkert, I do not dispute 0W40 is the most practical Oil and more available than most of the others.... but even using mineral and changing at that Oil's recommeded Intervals will not void a warranty.[/QUOTE]

The ss ain't a Saab either, the 2.0 is a cobalt motor and the 2.8 is a caddy motor. The body is based on GMs epsilon platform.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
The ss ain't a Saab either, the 2.0 is a cobalt motor and the 2.8 is a caddy motor. The body is based on GMs epsilon platform.
Did you really just bump a 3 year old thread to remind all of us that the blocks aren't saab? Really, everybody knows that...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts