SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a very long time lurking and reading, I unfortunately finally have cause to post...hoping someone can help!

Last weekend my wife was driving her Saab, attempting to pull away from a light, when the car started to run rough, and wouldn't accelerate over 5MPH or so. No CEL, flickering or otherwise.

I plugged in a code reader and got pending code P0132 (O2 sensor Bank1 sensor 1 high voltage). I also noted that long term fuel trim was at 0%, which struck me as unusual (but what do I know)...

We took the car to our local Saab mechanic after the second time the issue arose, and he got no codes - the pending code had cleared.

He drove the car for a few days and the issue didn't reoccur, so he returned the car to us. (He did mention a high knock rate, but gave no suggestions as to cause - after this info I filled the tank and added some injector cleaner to see if it would help).

This morning the car did it again. Mo CEL, no other indications. This time she was driving and the car slowed down like a motor winding down - back to 5MPH...limping along. She called me and I had her put the car into park and try to rev it...it seemed to rev fine, but when she put it back into gear, same issue...

Any thoughts, or idea where to start? (Since I'm not getting any codes, I don't have any idea where to start.)

And are these symptoms in fact what limp mode feels/acts like?

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
When was the last time you had any service done to the car? coils, plugs, oil change, anything....

Probably needs a new O2 sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When was the last time you had any service done to the car? coils, plugs, oil change, anything....

Probably needs a new O2 sensor.
Hi Diggs. Plugs, trans fluid and battery were all replaced within the last 18 months or so, I believe. I'll need to pull the service records to confirm.

Would an O2 sensor potentially put the car into limp mode without a hard code? And is what I'm describing actually limp mode? I honestly don't know what limp mode should feel/act like.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Absolutely. O2 sensor monitors how engine combustion is going. If it can't get a correct reading it will try and protect itself so no engine damage is done, voila, limp mode. It probably isn't fully dead yet.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Yeah, they aren't expensive. No point going cheap. Just buy a Bosch. Will outlast the car likely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little more info while I wait for the replacement O2 sensor:

Decided to scan the car again tonight - P0132 is still pending, and P0300 (random multiple misfires detected) is also pending. Live data - LTFT and STFT (fuel trim) are both at 0% with engine running.

Drove it before scanning it and instantly started shuddering at idle...couldn't get it over 5MPH. Just limping along. On the other hand when using the manual override on the auto trans I was able to get it revving and moving. Possibly coincidence?

On a side note, I was able to slide the red tab back on the plug for the O2 sensor, but am unable to remove it but don;t want to force it and break anything. Is there a trick I am missing? (The red tab slid back about 3MM)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Slide out until you can pull plug out bottom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, just to close this thread (I hate when I find a thread pertaining to an issue I have and I read to the end to find no resolution), the O2 sensor was indeed the culprit.

In spite of no CEL. The last scan I did showed 0% LTFT and STFT readings. Since the car was going to the shop anyway for the 120K service, I mentioned the O2 sensor. The mechanic thought the computer might be the issue (because of no CEL) and decided to try swapping it out...that failed. I told him to humor me and replace the O2 sensor.

He did, and now the car runs better than it has in a long time, and my wife is back to very happily driving her "Saabrina".

Thanks again for all of your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts