SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2007 Saab 9-3 T. Driving car starts fine, runs great. Check engine light comes on and turbo starts acting different and car sluggish, happens about 5 minutes into the drive without fail. Sometimes also getting injector codes (but since putting injector cleaner in, haven't received those). We were thinking about replacing the ECM but thought checking relay would be quicker to try first.

When looking the R7 relay spot in the car is empty, and from my reading is the engine management relay that controls the turbo. It has pins... Is it supposed to be empty? Would it hurt to put a relay in to try? Or should we leave as is and just continue with process of getting an ECM cloned?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, that is what we suspected. and we have a "donor" car that I learned we can clone the ECU to utilize. Just nervous about that process and figured should try all angles. But changing that fuse didn't help. Ordered the piece to clone the ECU and will be spending the next 2 days until it arrives reviewing the video and step by step instructions. (what we do for the love of children, it's my daughters car)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The video and instructions at this link

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The video and instructions at this link
So I was wondering... When it says can ruin car... Does this just refer to the ecu you are trying to clone? or could it do something to the car itself...

And the link refers to two things one that uses the tech 2 then one that doesn't... Are both utilized? My saabs do not have matching ecu # so it is my understanding I have to do the section referring to THE with the CAN program.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It cannot ruin the car, just the ECU .
Matching part number is not required to use tech2, matching era (2003-2006)(2007-2011) is.
So if u have tech2, i would use it first, it wont hurt anything, just connect the new ecu and try to read faults from the car by a tech2, if it does, then proceed with add and program, if it doesn't then u can only use canflasher.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Buy a 2007 (automatic I am assuming ) ECU from one of these dismantlers off car-part.com. Use tech2 to add it. 5mins later, Done. Super easy, I've done it twice (yes my car has 3 ECUs married to it. I can hot swap them as I feel like it) :)

Engine Computer
Saab 9 3
2.0 TURBO 55565020
$150​
Manteca Auto Dismantlers USA-CA(Lathrop) Request_Quote 209-858-4216 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
1436​
Engine Computer
Saab 9 3
E874L
$125​
5 J's Auto Parts USA-NM(Albuquerque) Request_Quote 1-800-456-0065 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
712​
Engine Computer
Saab 9 3
$75​
Alex Auto Parts USA-NY(Bronx) E-mail 718-842-2500
1110​

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We ordered the new ECU actually one right on this thread from Manta got it today put it in go to do the tech 2. anytime we try and do the car as soon as we turn it to on it tries to start and it just keeps trying but doesn't turn over. And we can't complete the process without leaving the car at on during the tech 2 procedure. we don't want to ruin anything and have no clue why it's misreading on for start. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to add. We tried putting the old ecm in and car acted normal. Not trying to start when set to on. We stopped for the night before trying to put the new ECm in again, and hoping maybe for insight for reason.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
has starter relay been tampered with?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, we didn't touch the starter relay, the tried changes fuse that run the ECM prior to getting the new ECM but they made no change in performance or codes.

History as we know it of the car:
bought knowing fuel gauge was broke. checked out, no additional codes (other than related to fuel gauge). Drove 150 miles home, ran great engine light came on 1 mile from home, and repeatedly after that any time test driven and turbo wasn't working as we thought it should when CEL is on.
Switched out fuel gauge stuff, car ran as did before but with gauge working and still throwing codes. Codes were injectors or the 245 and 6 something for the ECM. So we tried cloning the ECM from the 05 saab we had, but said wasn't a match, so took your recommendation from the Maneca yard and bought the exact ECM you pointed out. Numbers match perfectly. Put it in, went to add with Tech2 and engine just started to try and turn over when hit "on" (not at start) and just keeps trying over and over, putting to start doesn't make it start.

Unhooked everything, but in old ECM car started normal runs, etc. doesn't start until you hit start. We stopped for the night, didn't test putting it back in yet, but will in the morning, just hoping to have some trouble shooting thoughts. Husband thought we could pull the starter fuse to be able to go through the tech2 process and get it added, that maybe adding would then fix the issue???

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
So with old ECU u get the P0245 + P020x, and with the replacement ECU the car cranks over the moment u turn the ignition ON ? Thats what i understood, correct ?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
If the new ECU is causing the car to crank without the actual key turned to start and the old ECU doesnt, then bad new ECU.
Just make sure non of the ECU pins are bent .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts