SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stereo works 70 % of the time. The head unit always remains powered on, but occasionally while I'm listening to a song either on the radio, aux, or cd, it goes mute for a couple seconds and then comes back on. Sometimes the mute intervals are several minutes. It's getting really frustrating and have no clue what the issue could be. It can't be fuses because it's intermittent, and I've inspected the back of the head unit for loose wires/frayed connections but that all looks good. I also don't want to buy a new head unit if thats not the problem. Anyone have any past experiences similar to this?

Here are some initial findings:
  • Blinker indicator noise still works
  • I know for 2007- and above they put the amp in the back trunk, and the blinker sound is stored in a different side panel. I looked and saw that it is in the trunk.
Thanks for any help or insight

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m guessing here but check for an intermittent short to ground in the mute signal wire at the head unit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m guessing here but check for an intermittent short to ground in the mute signal wire at the head unit.
Never mind on this comment. There is no mute signal wire. I guess the mute signal comes in through the bus.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well never mind again. I did some research and the non-nav radio does have a mute signal wire. If it shorts to ground the radio will go silent but stay powered on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thank you for your response and your research. Do you know where the the mute signal wire is located? Behind the stereo? or by the amp in the back trunk? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I was able to locate the mute pin wire you mentioned. I snipped it and created a makeshift ground. This however did not fix the issue. I have a feeling that something is wrong with the amp itself, and may want to consider buying a used one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you ground the mute wire you should get no sound except turn signal and other alarms. If you have it disconnected (not grounded) it would most logically be the amp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts