SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nope, no video, none yet. i have a question:

my friend who has 2007 325i automatic sedan claims his V6 would kill my saab when racing. He says that weight of cars doesn't matter and additionally, again puts his V6 as a reason it would beat my v4. it's quite irritating.

he's like 17-18 years old. this bmw is his second car after 2006 kia sorento... spoiled, huh?

are those bmw's really powerful and faster than stage1.5 900se convertible?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
i get the feeling that weight does matter when taking off from the line! wild guess, but i'm thinking the saab is lighter with the smaller engine. also, with you having installed the upgrades on your car, you're actually familiar with it and know how to drive it compared to him just getting a bmw and exploiting what once was great german engineering.

i might be offensive in saying this, but what poor idiot buys their teen a bmw? the insurance for me with a saab is sky high! i don't even want to imagine what it is for a bmw.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure your saab will smoke his bmw even though it has a v6. I could be wrong but it probably weights almost 800 lbs heavier.

Insurance has to really high especially for a teenager. My brother who is 2 years older and has caused an accident has lower insurance than ME. I'm 21 and he is 23.

·
Registered
707 Posts
speed can't be gauged on just cylinders alone. it's an ignorant statement to say that the weight doesn't matter. just because his is a v6 doesn't mean he will smoke everything with less cylinders. case in point, a 1992 dodge caravan has a 3.5L V6, with 138whp...meanwhile a four cylinder 1992 honda prelude S, with a 2.2L engine might put down 130whp on a cold day, but guess who's gonna win the race?

so slap some sense into your friend, hell, take it to the track and give him a car length head start, we'll see who's laughing in the end.

just for reference, a quick google search turned up that the 07bmw 328i has 230hp, bout the same as a viggen, and will do 0-60 in 6.2 sec... 30-90, not anywhere near a saab, he'd need the 335i twin turbo to keep up with you in that contest. good luck and let us know how the spanking goes....

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well, first off, he does not have a V6, nor do you have a V4. They are both inline engines. Second, there is no such thing as an 07 325i...bmw discontinued that number a while ago; the lowest trim is the 328i.

Anyways, the 328i is nearly identical to your saab in torque, which is the main component of drag races. Being 200 lbs lighter and having some light mods (I assume from your stage 1.5 comment), but being a decade older and a manual means this would be a close race. Definitely have a shot at beating him from a roll, though.

·
Registered
707 Posts
KSpark said:
Well, first off, he does not have a V6, nor do you have a V4. They are both inline engines. Second, there is no such thing as an 07 325i...bmw discontinued that number a while ago; the lowest trim is the 328i.
huh? so you're saying the 900 doesn't have a four cylinder? and the bmw doesn't have a six cylinder? i'm confused...I get the inline part, and the no such thing as an 07 325, explain please:confused: !

·
Registered
153 Posts
No. He is saying that neither car has a 'V' configuration; rather the cylinders are arranged 'inline'. Simply four or six cylinders lined up one in front of the other instead of pairs opposing each other.

jmcg

SaabLV93 said:
huh? so you're saying the 900 doesn't have a four cylinder? and the bmw doesn't have a six cylinder? i'm confused...I get the inline part, and the no such thing as an 07 325, explain please:confused: !

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
SaabLV93 said:
The BMW has six sylinders but it's an I-6, not a V-6. An I-6 is an inline six....

You have an I-4.

·
Registered
707 Posts
gotcha...thanks guys...selective reading has kicked in again. god, it happens online too! I thought it was only selective hearing in the classroom and lecture!;oops:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
i would doubt you would win from a stand still (0-60 in 6.2 seconds) but you should be able to hang with it if you were starting at 30mph or so which is a credit so saab in 1999 being able to keep up with a car of the same class in 2007

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Lets put it this way, I kept up with an M3 before I put in the MP i/c, SMBC, and GS turbo intake pipe. We went from roll and stand still. I realize that Im a turbo and you aren't, but I was going up against an M3....

and weight is just as important as power, which is just as important as gear ratios..... I think you have a chance.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
rc89pl has a turbo

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
lowbudgethero said:
rc89pl has a turbo
oh you're right, for some reason the year threw me off.

You have a very good chance of taking him.

p.s. the M3 I went against was a 5spd manual... Im a 4spd auto.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
oh you're right, for some reason the year threw me off.

You have a very good chance of taking him.

p.s. the M3 I went against was a 5spd manual... Im a 4spd auto.
e36? I would be thoroughly impressed if it were an e46.

·
Registered
129 Posts
if its a 2006 325i witch I think was the last year they made the 325 it has 215 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque nd if its a 328i it has 230 hp @ 6500 rpm and 200 lb-ft of torque so either one I think you would be able to take him.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
his bmw has the new face of 3series and i know it has 215hp, because he told me that.
yeah... he says it was his money he paid the car for(in cash!!) but the insurance is paid by his parents(lol who gives a damn for this story).
about my saab, it's an automatic convertible with 2.0 engine and turbo. i've already put gs saabsport exhaust, gs OAI and I'm about to put the new mbc+a in next couple days.

in my school there are few spoiled kids who are around 17 and drive new lancer, sti, wrx, murano and few others that are at least 2006.

·
Registered
428 Posts
rc89pl said:
his bmw has the new face of 3series and i know it has 215hp, because he told me that.
yeah... he says it was his money he paid the car for(in cash!!) but the insurance is paid by his parents(lol who gives a damn for this story).
about my saab, it's an automatic convertible with 2.0 engine and turbo. i've already put gs saabsport exhaust, gs OAI and I'm about to put the new mbc+a in next couple days.

in my school there are few spoiled kids who are around 17 and drive new lancer, sti, wrx, murano and few others that are at least 2006.
then let's say stage .5, thought you were already stage 1... I pick the bimmer

·
Registered
919 Posts
325 hands down... BMW isnt great at putting up an impressive hp number like say the japaneese are. BMW does however make the best straight 6 on the market and makes for a much quicker car than the hp number suggests. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
707 Posts
slspf2 said:
then let's say stage .5, thought you were already stage 1... I pick the bimmer
that DOES make things a bit more complicated....
i take back part of my previous statement, but stand behind taking him from a roll.... you guys need to get this done already...perhaps with some video to post on youtube.com (on a closed course, of course).

1 - 20 of 84 Posts