SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I can find halogen headlights (entire unit) can I direct swap for my current HID headlights? These HIDs are going to kill me some night--the fogs and for that matter the turn signals are brighter than the HIDs. Autolevel works, 'high' beams work but I can't see down the road. I know the new halogen units are $$$ so I'll try to find at a salvage yard if this is a workable swap. I have a '07 95 SportCombi.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I have been told it is a straight forward swap, I bought my used complete halogen units on e-bay for roughly $200 for the pair.

I haven't done the swap yet.

I have a 2004, I don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If I can find halogen headlights (entire unit) can I direct swap for my current HID headlights? These HIDs are going to kill me some night--the fogs and for that matter the turn signals are brighter than the HIDs. Autolevel works, 'high' beams work but I can't see down the road. I know the new halogen units are $$$ so I'll try to find at a salvage yard if this is a workable swap. I have a '07 95 SportCombi.
Thanks
we have a set of non hid 07 9-5headlights if you are looking for a set.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Thanks
As Bob alluded to, it's totally plug and play. Just plug the halogen headlights in and drive. The ballast/control unit is what does all the magic with the HIDs, and obviously the halogens don't have those. On the 06+ HIDs they are bolted right to the headlight assembly and connected internally. I don't think you'll get any dash lights because again all the logic of the xenon system comes from the existence of the ballasts. I haven't tried this myself but the consensus seems to be that the 06+ cars with Xenons can be swapped to halogen without issue.

The HIDs on these cars are weak sauce, even when brand new. My mother in law has a Lexus and her HIDs seem like 4 times brighter than mine. They are slightly brighter than halogen, but if mine were to die, I'd totally go the halogen route.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Thanks
This may be a dumb question but, how "weathered" are your housings?
That makes a huge difference.

293 Posts
This may be a dumb question but, how "weathered" are your housings?
That makes a huge difference.
Not at all really came out of a 07 I can send pictures. Here are a few quickie onesthey have not been cleaned up yet .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I understand it is a different year, the point is you can get them from used suppliers with the side markers by shopping around and negotiating...any model year.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I really don't understand why people hate on the xenons. Mine are bright and I hardly if ever need my high beams.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I really don't understand why people hate on the xenons.
In my case I bought a 2004 with all kinds of Xenon issues, level sensors broken, bulbs out, suspect ballasts and foggy plastic lenses.

I decided to switch to glass halogens for their simplicity, also with high quality H7 bulbs the light they put out works great for me.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
In my case I bought a 2004 with all kinds of Xenon issues, level sensors broken, bulbs out, suspect ballasts and foggy plastic lenses.

I decided to switch to glass halogens for their simplicity, also with high quality H7 bulbs the light they put out works great for me.
Plastic 2002-2004 halogens should work. Earlier glass ones are nice, but they won't be a swap-in. I don't know how much of the front end would need to be modified or changed.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I stand corrected, the replacement headlights are plastic.

They are as so clear and shiny I presumed they were glass.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not at all really came out of a 07 I can send pictures. Here are a few quickie onesthey have not been cleaned up yet .
When you "clean them up" do you use a headlight restoration kit? Do you do only the exterior, or the interior as well?

Mine look cloudy, and it doesn't look like it's just the exterior that is cloudy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts