SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had the 2007 9-7x 5.3 since 2010, purchased in TX for the absolute bargain price of $9K with 55K miles on the clock. I don't think the dealer knew anything about these cars. In the last 9 years I have put only 19K miles on it (~2,11 miles a year). Up until last month, I had no significant expenses other than consumables such as tires and brakes. Oh and 3 batteries, it really gets through them for some reason, perhaps they just cook under that hood with a big v8 lump sitting so close by? I've also replaced the plastic cover on the drivers seat that has the switchgear for the seat position, as the clips broke. The A/C also needed a re-charge. It's had 3 recalls done at the local SAAB dealer in Portland (Gary Small), one was for the fuel tank, one for the airbags and one for the drivers-side door wiring.

At 73k miles the transmission went out, it would no longer shift into 2nd or 4th. I had the transmission completely overhauled at AAMCO, which was a bit expensive at $3k.They completely stripped it down, replaced the wiring harness, replaced all gaskets, replaced all friction materials, replaced the pan with an aluminum one (with integrated drain) and replaced the band with an upgraded part.

The transmission had been regularly serviced, but apparently it was the 2nd gear band that broke, and it is common failure point on the 4L60E transmission. Pretty disappointing but nothing I could do about it. I thought long and hard as to whether it was worth sinking $3K into a car that is probably only worth $6-$7K on a good day, but when I look at the very low running costs up to that point, and balanced that with the fact that I could not find another SUV with the same or less miles for anywhere close to that price, it made the decision a little easier. And I knew this car's history.

Since then I have renewed all fluids, including transfer case, f/r differentials, brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil (done every 5k) and engine coolant. I also just replaced the spark plugs and cleaned a rather dirty throttle body. The car still drives like it did when new and still has plenty of get up and go. For comparison I also have a 2018 2 liter Ecoboost AWD Ford Edge and you just can't beat a big loping V8! The Edge is just totally different in the way it delivers power. I also get nearly identical MPG out of the Ford and the 9-7x, which demonstrates just how bad the Ford is....

I also installed a rear-view camera with integrated front and rear dashcams that sits in front of the original mirror and I am very happy with that, it looks like the new GM rear mirror camera and is very useful. The rear camera is just above the license plate and the wiring was integrated into the factory lift gate rubber boot and chased through the drivers side under the carpet. No wires anywhere! The only upgrade I might do at some point in the future is to replace the head unit with something that has bluetooth, nav and an MP3 player.

In summary I am still enamored with the 9-7X, it might be a clumsy in the handling department and a bit clunky with the old-school chassis on body design and huge steering wheel, but it just keeps soldiering on. It has never left me by the side of the road and is still fun to drive. The one thing I wish I could change are the seats, I find them very uncomfortable and my back is aching after a few hours of driving. It is super rare to see one still on the road these days, and I get people asking me about it at parking lots and gas stations. They've just never seen a SAAB SUV! If there was a 9-4X for sale locally I might just pick one up for the novelty value! Well, happy motoring.

·
Super Moderator
1,448 Posts
I have nothing but good things to say about my time with a 9-7X. Back in the mid to late 2000’s, our family truckster was an ‘06 5.3i and it was a perfect all-around vehicle for us. Strong power, great towing, DVD player for the kids, nicely appointed interior, AWD, surprisingly good handling, etc. It was very reliable and looked great as well! We put nearly 80k miles on it before trading it in for a then-new ‘11 9-5 NG. But we were very, very, pleased with our 9-7X. ;ol;

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have nothing but good things to say about my time with a 9-7X. Back in the mid to late 2000’s, our family truckster was an ‘06 5.3i and it was a perfect all-around vehicle for us. Strong power, great towing, DVD player for the kids, nicely appointed interior, AWD, surprisingly good handling, etc. It was very reliable and looked great as well! We put nearly 80k miles on it before trading it in for a then-new ‘11 9-5 NG. But we were very, very, pleased with our 9-7X. ;ol;

I guess living up in the NE, the tin worm is the thing that gets older cars? Luckily we don't really get snow and they don't salt the roads, so cars here in Oregon tend to last forever (well at least the bodies do). It's a particularly Portland tradition for some people to never wash their car and then you will eventually get moss growing if it is left outside.

Good to hear from a satisfied 9-7x owner.

·
Super Moderator
1,448 Posts
I guess living up in the NE, the tin worm is the thing that gets older cars? Luckily we don't really get snow and they don't salt the roads, so cars here in Oregon tend to last forever (well at least the bodies do). It's a particularly Portland tradition for some people to never wash their car and then you will eventually get moss growing if it is left outside.

Good to hear from a satisfied 9-7x owner.
I didn’t have rust issues with ours, but at every oil change, while I was under the car I was always checking for rust. Anything that looked suspicious got zapped with POR-15. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts