SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I've owned my first Saab 07' 9-3 aero 2.8L for a few months now. Love it! It's got 116k miles and yeah, a few minor issues I've had to fix but nothing major. I just joined Saab Central and want to thank everyone who posted all the great info I've learned just by browsing these forums the last few months. Big help! I do have a couple questions for you guys? I'm wanting to tune so anyone have any opinion on Vtune or JZW? Either stage 0 or jzw stage 1 for now. Also, had new plugs and coil packs put on when first got car so next question is the recommended denso iridium plugs with .85mm gap before tuning. I get the need for a colder spark but is it necessary for lower tuning? These rear motor plugs sucked and I already had to replace some brittle vacuum lines I accidentally broke the first time lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got my wife and I the exact same car! (175K miles lol) I actually messaged Vtune, and got a quick response, with very good information. Brian there told me I could run the one stage colder plug at stock gap till it is tuned, and then I would want to re-gap them for stage 0. That being said, I am still on the fence about the Vtune. It just seems like a lot of extra juice being pumped out of the car. I think the engine will be fine, but my auto trans has had a couple hiccups, and I'm concerned about its health. Brian did say there are some tuned cars going on 10 years that are holding up well. at 116K miles, I bet your car would be a little more suited to that level of tuning.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
VTuner all the way. Do a search on this board over the past couple of years, JZW burned a lot of people. Brian at VTuner has always been very responsive.

I ran the Denso Iridium IKH22 at 0.80mm. Car ran much better with the tune than it did stock FWIW.

It’s not really the colder spark that you need, although one heat range colder won’t hurt. It’s the tighter plug gap that is what is needed, even stock IMO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Vtune is the way to go then! I'll get the Denso's and gap them. Brian has been really helpful and I love the quick response time with email replies. I might as well get the plugs,(pre-gapped), from him since I'll be getting the tuner anyways. Cheap enough at $65 for the plugs. I did see throughout the board some people using NGk's instead. I've had some on other cars which held up really well. I should be able to replace the back 3 quicker this time lol still a little pain

1 - 4 of 4 Posts