SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was jsut wondering if anyone knows the sizes of all the speakers in the car..i am trying to sell the car but i think one of mine crackles a little so i would like to maybe replace them all or atkeast the 2 front doors and maybe the dash. i do not want to add an amp tho or remove my seat to get to my stock one..

thanks.. Mike

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
hey guys i was jsut wondering if anyone knows the sizes of all the speakers in the car..i am trying to sell the car but i think one of mine crackles a little so i would like to maybe replace them all or atkeast the 2 front doors and maybe the dash. i do not want to add an amp tho or remove my seat to get to my stock one..

thanks.. Mike
i think 6 1/2 inch go on crutch field they will let you know what size fits where

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think 6 1/2 inch go on crutch field they will let you know what size fits where

i am on there right now!!!! :) it says i can change the radio itself but i have been told i cannot..i dont want to just saying.. it says

dash - 3 1/2
door front - 6 3/4

rear deck 4"

but it doesnt say anything about the center dash speaker or the rear doors..i am assuming rear doors are the same as the fronts but the center dash almost looks like a 6x9.. might jsut be the size of the grille tho..

appreciate the help tho!!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
2x 3.5" 4ohm either side the dash
2x 6.5" 2ohm woofers in the doors(7 & 13 speakers only (door speakers only get the mid/bass signal)
2x 4" 4ohm in rear parcel shelf...
2x 6x9" 4ohm in rear shelf...(13 speakers only & only bass signal)
1x 4" 4ohm centre top of dash below SID(7 & 13 speakers only)...not really worth it as it's mono.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have factory speakers: two dash 3.5; 2 doors 6.5; two rear deck 4.
all in good condition. I did an upgrade and would sell them cheap if you're interested. All from 2005 9.3 with 7 speaker set up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Question:
Why is it that the door kickers are 2 ohms. What sets that apart? If one was to replace with 4 ohms what would it do? (Basically, why is there 2 different impedance?)

Thanks,

Lucas

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Question:
Why is it that the door kickers are 2 ohms. What sets that apart? If one was to replace with 4 ohms what would it do? (Basically, why is there 2 different impedance?)

Thanks,

Lucas
Lower impedance allows the speaker to play louder for a given unit of electrical power. The amp must be designed to drive the low impedance. The Saab amp (AMP1) will do so effectively.

Switching to 4 ohm speaker will result in lower volume than stock speaker. The system is already EQ'd for the bass speakers in the door to play at a certain volume relative to the other amps and speakers. This aspect of our amps is not adjustable, which is why most stick with replacement speakers of the same impedance as what was removed.

You cannot replace the other 4 ohm speakers in the car with 2 ohm speakers. This will overload the amps, as only AMP1 is configured to drive 2 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lower impedance allows the speaker to play louder for a given unit of electrical power. The amp must be designed to drive the low impedance. The Saab amp (AMP1) will do so effectively.

Switching to 4 ohm speaker will result in lower volume than stock speaker. The system is already EQ'd for the bass speakers in the door to play at a certain volume relative to the other amps and speakers. This aspect of our amps is not adjustable, which is why most stick with replacement speakers of the same impedance as what was removed.

You cannot replace the other 4 ohm speakers in the car with 2 ohm speakers. This will overload the amps, as only AMP1 is configured to drive 2 ohm speakers.
Answers my question perfectly! Thank you for that!

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
whats the rms on the door speakers? like what wattage are they seeing?
I don't know if that has ever been measured. It is probably in the 15 to 20 W rms range, although driven into 2 ohms as opposed to the typical 4. I say this because many members have had issues using line output converters when adding amps to this car. LOC's convert speaker level signals to line level. A common problem here has been using an "off the shelf" LOC and getting bad results. Many LOC's are rated for factory power in the 2-5 W range. Once members have used LOC's rated in the 20 W range, there have not been issues. You will see this discussed in many old threads.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I am not sure this is technically true, you are right in a way but the Saab speakers driven by the head unit are 4 ohms but so are the tweeters fitted to the 13 speaker setup, put the two speakers together in parallel as they are set up, that make, 2 ohms impedance seen by the head unit, this has always baffled me, would 2ohm speakers give better sound levels ???

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
earlier on dug out tweeters,did an ohms reading on them & they all came back with no reading on there own...

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
earlier on dug out tweeters,did an ohms reading on them & they all came back with no reading on their own...
We had trouble figuring this out in 2003. The cap value is also weird at 1.5 uF. I think that works out to a crossover frequency above 20 kHz.

You can't really measure the impedance of the tweeter, but you can measure the voice coil resistance. In circuit, the impedance for a single driver can never be lower than the voice coil resistance of that driver.

Aerojon, if you try to measure the VCR using the speaker wire, you are leaving the crossover cap in the circuit. That small cap charges instantly and you get an infinite resistance reading. If you measure on the back of the tweeter, you will get a reading. My meter reads between 3.8 and 3.9 ohms.

With a set of speakers wired in parallel like a 3.5 woofer and a 1" tweeter like this, so little current flows through the tweeter that it has very minimal impact even if the combined impedance of the two speakers dips to 2 ohms during high frequency musical passages. The high current only flows during low frequency passages, and during those times the capacitor blocks flow through the tweeter.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Well that answers that question :lol:

thats just saved my head unit lol

I have found a purchased a set of front 3.5" infinity's

and a set of 4" infinity's, they must be old stock as they are both rated at 4 ohms and nether of them are listed on the infinity web site any more :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts