SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car that I want has parchment interior which is cool becauase the color of the car is Parchment Silver Metallic. I was initially going for a car with gray interior but this is the only one that the dealer could locate close by. Can anyone tell me how this color holds up? Since it's lighter, does it take a little more care? What's your opinions on the looks of it?

Thanks!
SJ

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have the grey interior because that's what I could get at a steal at the end of MY2004 but I think the parchment is more unique amongst what's available in other cars today. I'm sure it takes more cleaning to keep looking good, but it does look good.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm sure others with older 9-3SSs can chime in here, but my 4mo old Black Aero SC w/Parchment should wear fine. I'm not worried about it. I picked the lighter interior color because a) won't be as hot as the grey in the summer and b) it the charcoal inserts match the exterior color. :cool:

My previous '01 9-5 wagon had the vented seats (with Charcoal interior) and worked extremely well-I sorely miss that feature....

Saab-Jitsu said:
The car that I want has parchment interior which is cool becauase the color of the car is Parchment Silver Metallic. I was initially going for a car with gray interior but this is the only one that the dealer could locate close by. Can anyone tell me how this color holds up? Since it's lighter, does it take a little more care? What's your opinions on the looks of it?

Thanks!
SJ

·
Registered
461 Posts
I got a Black 9-3 and was going for the grey leather, until I saw the parchment. It looks awsome inside. I've only had it about 3 weeks and haven't allowed my kids to eat in it at all. After soccer practice, the shoes go in the trunk. It's leather, so it should clean up easy. I think the parchment is the way to go.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
My parchment leather interior is 12 months old. It is holding up very well even compared to the other seats which get little or no use. The leather on the bottom cushion on the driver's seat did become slightly wrinkled even though I am not heavy. There is no visable wear yet nor any fade. If you are concerned whether you are prone to spill food in the car, simply look at your current car for guidelines.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I originally wanted an Aero charcoal interior so that less dirt would show, and to complement the dash, metallic inserts, etc. After seeing the Aero parchment interior, I was hooked. Very sharp looking, and I was not as concerned about dirt because the floor carpeting and mats are dark charcoal.

After 2+ months of daily driving, no worries. The leather has stayed clean, but more importantly -- looks great!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Doesn't need much more looking after

My 2003 Vector has the parchment interior, and apart from a bit of wear on one of the side bolsters where you get in and out it is still clean after 32,000 miles.

The full leather interior is optional this side of the pond, so we get half leather as standard - the seats are parchment leather with charcoal cloth inserts so we do not have as much leather as yours.

My previous car had full grey leather and I don't find that I clean the Saab's more often that I did the previous car. A clean and good quality leather feed cream evey six months keeps the dirt at bay and the leather nice and soft.

More of a problem are the parchment carpets the earlier models got - I understand why Saab changed over to charcoal carpets regardless of which colour interior later on the production run as even with mats the lighter carpet is a nightmare to keep clean!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have a full parchment interior on my Nocturne Blue '04. So far, it has held up great and have had no issues. Usually, the leather cleaners tend to do a good job of keeping the leather in great condition. I plan on giving my car the full SPA treatment (professionally) so it will look like new again. It will cost a good $200+ but, it hasn't had that in a long itme and I am too lazy to do it myself.

Also, all the sprays, etc, one needs tends to cost about half that...

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
'04 Arc with Parchment

I have an '04 Nocturne Blue Arc with Parchment also. I have never had any issues with the leather. I try to clean and condition it every 3 months, but I would do that with any color leather. All in all I would say it has held up quite well, and like others have said it is much cooler than the gray.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Parchment leather is a concern for me too.

I'm looking at solid paint and the only non-metallic cars in all of Australia are black and parchment is the default colour (slate is special order with black, standard with light exteriors).

A few dealers here have got that combo in stock and are getting keen to move them. Good for me as it means a better deal.

My only worry is that the light colour of parchment is not too family friendly.

All your responses here are encouraging, please keep us updated if any of you have any dramas with stains etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My wife spent about 2 years trying to remove a stain from the Parchment interior of her '03 Aero (now changed for an '06 with grey leather!). The stain came from a pair of new blue jeans which left some dye on the edge of the seat where you exit. It proved impossible to remove completely no matter what proprietary item she used. So just a little warning to be careful with new clothing items particularly if they get wet.

Other than that, the interior held up pretty well after 3 years. even the carpets were not too bad, although these were protected by plastic mats.

Black with Parchment does look the business though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
woobag said:
My wife spent about 2 years trying to remove a stain from the Parchment interior of her '03 Aero (now changed for an '06 with grey leather!). The stain came from a pair of new blue jeans which left some dye on the edge of the seat where you exit. It proved impossible to remove completely no matter what proprietary item she used. So just a little warning to be careful with new clothing items particularly if they get wet.

Other than that, the interior held up pretty well after 3 years. even the carpets were not too bad, although these were protected by plastic mats.

Black with Parchment does look the business though.
How about these tips for removing that blue dye stain?

http://www.ehow.com/tips_3138.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
All,

A warning: avoid wearing wet clothes when sitting on those beautiful leather seats; my parchment driver's seat was spoilt by a brown winter coat with only a bit of rain on it. (And it wasn't a cheap coat either...:nono; )
The rims of the leather have become brown and nothing I tried made them clean again. Even a specialized company was unable to get the color back to original.

I suppose this is more visible on parchment but I'm sure it could happen with grey as well. Since then I always dump wet coats in the trunk...

My favorite is still parchment, so my next 9-3, which I expect to pick up next friday, will again have a parchment interior, although it will be midnight blue instead of my present black.
Regards, Tom

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have two 9.3's. Convertible with grey and a SS with parchment. Both seem have worn about the same after 25,000 miles. The vert is black so I went with grey and the SS is steel grey. My wife drives the SS and really liked the parchment.

·
Registered
514 Posts
For a great inexpensive leather cleaning solution (assuming you're married) use some of her Woolite laundry soap diluted 1 : 6 (or 8) with water (use distilled H2O if you got it). You can test it on your white sneakers to see how good it cleans if you're unsure about this. I use this exclusively now. I still suggest the Zaino Z10 'Leather in a Bottle' though for a protectant...it's kinda expensive but it's so worth it. It won't leave a shiny slippery finish to leather and has the closest thing to factory fresh leather smell I've ever come across. That Meguiars should NOT be used on your steering wheel leather...could be a safety issue from its slick finish. BTW, I have used Meg's GC Leather Cond., but stopped using it.

BTW, get an inexpensive spray bottle for your mixture.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts