SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's '06 Aero, 2.8 with 6 speed, has suddenly started running rough, stalling, and putting out a whole list of codes...

Anybody with any bright ideas?

P0087, P0192, P0496, P0300, P0302, P0304, P000A

We first got the fuel pressure related codes. Fuel pump, filter, pressure sensor have been replaced...

We've had individual coils go in the past, replaced those - but all of this started at the same time. The car is currently undriveable as it runs so rough.

What can cause all of this to happen at the same time?

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Fuel pressure too low.
Check pressure sensor and its wirings.

·
Super Moderator
20,204 Posts
A bad battery could. What is voltage?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This started with fuel pressure codes, and couple of misfire codes. The car was running so rough, and stalling, he had to get towed home.

We assumed (maybe incorrectly) that low fuel pressure was the culprit, and I know that fuel pumps die on these cars, so he changed the fuel pump assembly. Checked codes, same codes came back plus a few more (as listed in my earlier post).

Changed the fuel pressure sensor. Checked connections to ECM. Changed oil (just in case old oil was causing the P000A).

Cleared codes, started the car. Starts immediately, plenty of battery power (we even put a booster/charger on it just in case). It starts immediately, starts to miss, gets progressively worse until it stalls.

Different collection of codes this time:
P0016, P0018, P0300, P0302, P0304, P0305, P0306

Thoughts? Low oil pressure causing cam timing to be off? Failing ECM?

·
Super Moderator
20,204 Posts
Stretched timing chain.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
P0016 & P0018 points toward a stretched chain, however ive seen many cars with these codes and they still ran good specially at the early stages of the stretch.
U need to figure out if the timing codes are the reason behind the poor running condition, or maybe the fuel codes, clearing codes and assuming they are fixed as long as they dont come back does not always work, as u may not get the car within the parameters to set these codes again.
So diagnose the fuel codes urself, start the car and while its running look at demand vs actual fuel pressure, long and short term fuel trims , O2 and so on

·
Registered
389 Posts
Stretched timing chain.

I follow Diggs on that! My car has the same codes before the last December engine swap. It is timing chain stretch.

This passage: "It starts immediately, starts to miss, gets progressively worse until it stalls." reminds me of memories. When that is coming you have to act now.

On my car the CEL stay on 4 years before getting worse. Last time I drive it to garage, it make 5 restart to reach the garage, the CEL flashes. At each 200 feet, it stall, It was scary!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Stretched timing chain.

I'm afraid you might be right...

Just looked at the WIS, seems like there are 3 chains in there. Likely all three need changing if this is the case? How about sprockets? Anybody done this?

Or - are we looking at other damage as well?

Not afraid to tackle it - I've rebuilt quite a few complete engines over the years - but wondering if it's worth it?

Another approach - will a donor engine out of a 2008 automatic work in this car (the car is manual transmission)?

Or maybe it becomes a parts car if he finds another one. Seem to plenty of used ones available for us crazy Saab guys...

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
If you swap whole engine, yes. Timing chain (and wheels) changed -07.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts