SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple weeks ago low coolant light came on, unscrewed the cap and the cap was very hard to get off and the portion that goes down inside reservoir broke away from cap and had to pull out with pliers. I added coolant and put the piece that broke and cap back on right as I could and figured I should look into new cap at some point. Fast forward to last couple days and coolant low keeps coming on and coolant is coming out from somewhere which I believe is the overflow hose. Could a bad cap cause these issues? I have one ordered and should be here by Friday. I don't believe there are any cracks in the seams of reservoir. So cap or possibly the sensor that attaches to bottom maybe? Any input would be appreciated. There is definitely coolant coming out so it's not a bad or corroded sensor that I am reading about.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Starting with a new cap isn't a bad idea. Was there old, dried coolant around the rim of the reservoir where the cap goes? That could have made the cap hard to remove. Are you able to see smoke or smell any burnt coolant?

As far as possible leak points on the reservoir, there is really only the sensor hole, the rear fill hose hole, and the two expansion hoses on top (and obviously the cap and overflow hose, but you know about those).

My '06 Aero failed at one of the two expansion hoses (turbo side, not reservoir side). Initially, I could see a single drip from the failing hose clamp, but as the car warmed up, the drip turned into a fine stream as the system pressurized. Because the coolant tank is so close to the turbo, sometimes the leaked coolant will come into contact with the down pipe or turbo heat shield and vaporize immediately, so you may not see any obvious coolant leaks.

Here is a link to my thread if you want to see what my experience was like:

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
Bad cap can definitely be a problem as it will allow overflow before the rated pressure if it’s malfunctioning.

NG 9-5 overflow bottle coolant hoses are a cheap and easy upgrade for 9-3 V6 cars. The hoses come with shields to help protect the hoses from turbo heat.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the hoses are in good shape. The only leaking coolant I see is dripping from the overflow hose. I do not have the new cap as of this writing. The low coolant level keeps popping up on the sid but I am sure the leaking from the overflow hose and bad cap is contributing to that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I can pull the lower part out of the reservoir. I am just asking if this is more or less the cause of my problem

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes. I can pull the lower part out of the reservoir. I am just asking if this is more or less the cause of my problem
Yes, I had this problem on my 07 aero. The exact same thing happened with my cap.

The cap would not hold pressure. Once it dumped coolant out of the overflow line that is on the backside of the expansion tank. After some spirited driving on the track, the coolant would get extremely hot and boil out of the overflow tank. This was when I noticed my problem. Luckily, there was an advanced auto parts store 15 mins from the track that had the Cadillac SRX 2.8 coolant lid in stock (same engine as the 2.8 aero). I replaced it with that. I would recommend doing the same.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I had this problem on my 07 aero. The exact same thing happened with my cap.

The cap would not hold pressure. Once it dumped coolant out of the overflow line that is on the backside of the expansion tank. After some spirited driving on the track, the coolant would get extremely hot and boil out of the overflow tank. This was when I noticed my problem. Luckily, there was an advanced auto parts store 15 mins from the track that had the Cadillac SRX 2.8 coolant lid in stock (same engine as the 2.8 aero). I replaced it with that. I would recommend doing the same.
What SRX years 2.8 am I looking for? Same year as my Saab

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have the same car, and I just repaired this issue.

Both the hose for my coolant tank was leaking (again), and my cap cracked and was not sealing.

Trying a different type of hose this time since the OEM one has had a high failure rate for me, but have only been using it for a few weeks so far so can’t say if it’s a good replacement yet.

An aftermarket cap that worked, the OEM is a lot more expensive so I got this one and it fits fine.

Also, when I first got the car, I did have the reservoir tank that cracked a few times before when the car was new, but found a good replacement OEM tank that looked different than the previous one, that was 9 years ago and hasn’t cracked since.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
topped off tank and put new cap on. Wife came home so I waited a few minutes and I could see coolant dripping from overflow hose. No what should I be looking for as the problem? there is no leaks from any of the top hoses or any hosed going to firewall?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check that they tank isn’t cracked, it’s hard to see it unless the tank is under pressure.
I do not see any coolant drips from the seam of the tank. I also kept cap off and ran car to temperature and no bubbling up through tank so I believe no head gasket problems. Could the tank have a small crack at the seam and just not leaking coolant or leaving traces of coolant?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
topped off tank and put new cap on. Wife came home so I waited a few minutes and I could see coolant dripping from overflow hose. No what should I be looking for as the problem? there is no leaks from any of the top hoses or any hosed going to firewall?
You overfilled it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts