SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I've been having this issue as of late. When the temperature is below freezing and I go to start my 06 9-7x it starts, then immediately turns itself off and throws a check engine light and a service Stabilitrak light.

A small caveat my steering wheel position sensor is going so this accounts for the service Stabilitrak when it gets cold, but the turning off of the engine is a new one and it has happened to me a few times while driving but only when it is below freezing outside. The engine shuts off, the electronics still work, and it'll let you coast to the side of the road.

I ran the check engine light and I'm getting a P0601 Transmission Control Module code, which after going through the service manual basically says there is an internal issue with my Powertrain Control Module and it needs to be replaced.

Has anyone had this happen? PCMs are usually fairly bulletproof and I'm curious whether the fact my steering wheel position sensor being on its last legs is throwing enough codes that creates the P0601 code in my PCM?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I actually had this happen to me today as well! I turned it of pulled the key out and adjusted the steering wheel up and back down. Started it and all was well. I believe that steering wheel position sensor is all of that cause. Did your reduced power light come on as well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think you are right that it is the steering wheel position sensor. Just wondering if I need to replace my ECM as well which is proving quite difficult as for some reason all the SAAB service centers around me are not able to flash the ECM and neither can any of the GM dealerships. They all say the other should be able to do it....

But no my reduced power sensor didn't come on. It always puts my check engine, service stabilitrak, and check transmission and shuts my car off. It has only happened when it is close to freezing out and never happens when it is warm (or not yet that is).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have yet to replace my sensor, busy work schedule... when I do ill update if it fixes it. Did replace the throttle body, no more stabilitrak, but still have the cel come on. Update if you change yours and it remedies the issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up getting my steering wheel position sensor back on, but it did not remedy the service stabilitrak issue. The dealer said the PCM needed to be flashed in order to do so. On a side note, the problem of having the stabilitrak, check engine, and check transmission light come on and shut down the vehicle has gotten worse. Finally found a shop that is capable of flashing the ECM, now just to wait for the part to come in. Did you have any luck replacing your steering wheel position sensor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up having to replace my ECM and managed to find a remanufactured one on RockAuto (here). The SAAB service shop I was planning on taking it to ended up having their license revoked a week before my ECM came in. Lucky enough I knew someone who runs a GM dealership and they were able to program the new ECM and flash it with 2006 Chev Trailblazer programming. Worked like a charm and now it is all fixed. Glad to have my old gal back on the road.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lucky enough I knew someone who runs a GM dealership and they were able to program the new ECM and flash it with 2006 Chev Trailblazer programming. Worked like a charm and now it is all fixed. Glad to have my old gal back on the road.
What is the difference between 2006 Trailblazer and 2006 Saab 9-7x programming? Or since it was a GM dealership, was the trailblazer the only option they had and since they are the same it worked fine?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ended up having to replace my ECM and managed to find a remanufactured one on RockAuto (here). The SAAB service shop I was planning on taking it to ended up having their license revoked a week before my ECM came in. Lucky enough I knew someone who runs a GM dealership and they were able to program the new ECM and flash it with 2006 Chev Trailblazer programming. Worked like a charm and now it is all fixed. Glad to have my old gal back on the road.
Yeah ckinchen what was the reasoning behind the TB programming? Is the Saab programming flawed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.