SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read this thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392545

and the Saab wheels/rims guide thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405217

(I also used wheel-size.com before coming here...comparing values)

I have an 06 9-5 with the stock ALU62's, which I think are 17x7.5 offset 49, running 235/45/17's. Stock Aero suspension.

I'm wanting to buy wheels that are 18x8 ET 42.

My questions:

1. Am I right on the stock ALU62's offset of 49?
  2. It would appear that in order to keep scrub radius close to stock (plus 3mm) I need a tire at 235/45/18, but it says it fills the wheelwell an extra 13mm...is this ok? Will it rub?
  3. There's also 245/40/18s that are similar but positive scrub radius is 5mm, which it says may affect handling. Is this something to worry about at 5mm?
Basically I'm looking for the ideal size tire for an 18x8 ET 42 wheel on stock aero suspension in the 2006 9-5 (which may be the same wheelwell/fender clearance as any 9-5?)

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I've read this thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392545

and the Saab wheels/rims guide thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405217

(I also used wheel-size.com before coming here...comparing values)

I have an 06 9-5 with the stock ALU62's, which I think are 17x7.5 offset 49, running 235/45/17's. Stock Aero suspension.

I'm wanting to buy wheels that are 18x8 ET 42.

My questions:

1. Am I right on the stock ALU62's offset of 49?
  2. It would appear that in order to keep scrub radius close to stock (plus 3mm) I need a tire at 235/45/18, but it says it fills the wheelwell an extra 13mm...is this ok? Will it rub?
  3. There's also 245/40/18s that are similar but positive scrub radius is 5mm, which it says may affect handling. Is this something to worry about at 5mm?
Basically I'm looking for the ideal size tire for an 18x8 ET 42 wheel on stock aero suspension in the 2006 9-5 (which may be the same wheelwell/fender clearance as any 9-5?)
235 best for an 8 inch wide wheel. 245 will not have to stretch to fit at all but it will tramline and be a pita, all other issues aside

this is an 18/ 245 on a 9.5 wide wheel. I don't suggest 245 as I suggested it tramlines , although the grip is awesome with Dunlop Z2 - not a DD....

235 on 8 inch 18 wheels

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
235 best for an 8 inch wide wheel. 245 will not have to stretch to fit at all but it will tramline and be a pita, all other issues aside

235 on 8 inch 18 wheels

Thanks Qwik,

Is the Saab yours? Is it 235/40 or 235/45 on 18x8? Stock suspension? Does it rub at all?

I'm being told by other Saab owners on FB that the 18x8ET42 will rub the control arm at full lock.

I don't want to buy the wheels if they are only going to cause me problems.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Yes of course its my SAAB, lol. Stock 206,000 km suspension for an 07 aero.

235/40 you can say thank you I had to go back out to the garage and climb up a ladder to read it off the tire as I have a poor memory.

95 Y Exsta Khumo I bought for 65 dollars each brand new. Such a deal. Weird tire looked kinda funky for a summer tire, just a bunch of deep and wide circumferential grooves pretty much. Wet weather performance is probably head of the class of all the tires I have had.

as for offset go to 1010 tires dot com or something similar, plug in your offset, the offset of your wheels and figure it out from there. Mine are RWD wheels and have humungous spacers bolted on with wheel studs. Silly SAAB wheel bolts are gone.

Generally speaking bumping up from a 7 inch to an 8 inch wheel depending on offset compared to what you have its not a big jump.

If the wheel is hitting the control arm that's pretty funny I would have thought the sway bar would be an issue first.

but whatever good luck. PS if they fit a cobalt the wheels will work on your car.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm running the same wheels and tires size as qwik but without spacers. FYI the offset on these wheels is 55. I'm planning to add spacers though as they're too far in (tires are close to struts),although no rubbing problems that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I'm running the same wheels and tires size as qwik but without spacers. FYI the offset on these wheels is 55. I'm planning to add spacers though as they're too far in (tires are close to struts),although no rubbing problems that I'm aware of.
I had to space my wheels out as the Brembo brake caliper conversion requires spoke clearance....cheap Kappa wheels lol... If I had gone to an ENKEI wheel then it would have been different... the PF01 on the Redline are 9.5 36 mm offset and have lots of spoke clearance with a convex spoke configuration. Spoke config and brake caliper design are as important as offset....

Cleaner I figured that down pipe was gone and I think I bought another one. Hard to remember I have not been down to New York state to the drop ship warehouse I use for three months. The dollar has been struggling against the US dollar but the deals are out there, and I have all sorts of parts there accumulating there; before I would go down (its only 2.5 hours away) three or four times a month....

I also had some life changing issues with family followed by some huge house renovations been sucking up my time...

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
at the rear they for sure will rub the top shock cover 3 mm spacer will fix that

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anyone cares, I went with the 18x8 ET42 Vauxhall VXR wheels, with 235/40/zr18 Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric all-season tires.

The wheel at full lock almost makes the tires rub, but still has decent clearance. No rubbing under bumps, etc. and the tires and wheels sit fairly flush now compared to stock. I'm likely not going to mess with spacers...

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
If anyone cares, I went with the 18x8 ET42 Vauxhall VXR wheels, with 235/40/zr18 Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric all-season tires.

The wheel at full lock almost makes the tires rub, but still has decent clearance. No rubbing under bumps, etc. and the tires and wheels sit fairly flush now compared to stock. I'm likely not going to mess with spacers...

Looks great!!!!! ;ol;;ol;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts