SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car has 35k miles, regular 3k oil changes, not driven hard, mostly town miles, 4 cly turbo stick shift. (end of season 2005 Aero sedan bought new from dealer, leather, sun roof, new tires, in very nice condition otherwise.)

engaging the turbo on the highway last week (4k and heavy foot) caused a major stutter and misfire, car runs reasonably ok but still missing and check engine light came on.
took the car to a saab mechanic who shows smoke puffing out of oil filler (ugh!). oiled plug for #2 cylinder, borescope shows heavy carbon buildup on pistons
diagnosis is fried piston ring due to carbon buildup. solution is a lower end engine re-build: new bearings and crank grind, hone bores replace rings, keep pistons: $3,500 repair tab.

sound like the way to go?

should this have happened after such low miles?
is this city driving anathema?

comments please

jm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
car is stock, has been to the dealer for regular services, warranty expired last year

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
car is running on three+ cylinders and puffs smoke out of the oil filler. it can be driven but it ain't right.

by the way, I'm in Brooklyn and took the car to Roland (Swedish Car Service), a highly regarded Saab mechanic in my area

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just read about the chronic oil sludging problems with Saab motors.
is my engine covered by the extended 8 year warranty against sludging damage?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I would not pay for the engine rebuild... see if you can find a good engine from a late model SAAB which was wrecked... I know they have one off a 2004 Aero at Austin VeeDub in Austin, TX for $1700. Now this is a high price, but I know many guys have gotten some pretty good deals if you shop around. Then see how much that shop would charge for an engine replacement.
Sorry for your Bad News
Good Luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
This happens to me and seems to be fairly common with these cars. My piston was burnt right on the edge. I had a used piston installed with new rings, and new bearings. It requires removal of the head so I got a new head gasket and they had to drop the sump. It cost me $1500. I have an extra AB piston if you need one. Definitly dosn't require the engine to come out to replace a piston.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Please explain why this would cause engine failure- I have heard this before and really want to know what happens.
MAF reads air coming into the engine, if it's reading wrong or it's faulty it might lean out your fuel or shove too much in there.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Sounds like the car was never opened up. You need to beat on it ir stuff builds up in there ( at least on the highway) This is why you dont want to buy little old lady/man cars with low miles.

If that was the case and especially you used low quality fuel it was just a matter of time sorry to say

If you need a regrind I woudl look fo r agood used motor. OSmeon just got on eform ebay for 800 ( delivered) and it worked well there is a tread here soemwhere

1 - 14 of 14 Posts