SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This problem just started this morning: After driving the car some 20 miles, (in rain if it matters) the car stated to do this weird thing where it would almost “jump” or hit a “hiccup” for the slightest second when under acceleration 50+MPH. After that, I noticed that from a stop, the turbo was next to none existent leaving me with almost no acceleration for the first two gears. Once in third, things would improve and it would act normal again, though still with the hiccup once in a while under acceleration. I left the car to cool down for a few hours, and took it for a quick ride. Thankfully, the turbo was working again in all gears, but still making the hiccups, and more frequently (Almost feels like there are air bubbles popping through the fuel line or something). After 10 min, I noticed that instead of the normal BOV sound, it would make a louder almost thud sound between shifts, again after the turbo was under acceleration between 2nd and 3rd. Any ideas with this one? Could it be the turbo seals, or just a hose? The turbo hasn’t made any other noises etc. so I doubt the whole thing has just collapsed at once. So strange!

Any input is greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

2005 Saab 9-3
2.0t
82K miles

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm guessing problem with the wastegate, but I dunno for sure.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've had the same problem once, it was a while ago. Although mine happened when I started it up and in reverse I was giving it some juice and the minute I put it in first it was like I was driving a John Deer. Let it sit then it was normal... Hasn't happened for about 4 months now so have never really looked into it. I bet were not alone though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mystery solved! Wanted to post my finding as the cause ended up being the last thing I expected....maybe it will help someone else out in the future.

The problem first started this morning on my way to work, and throughout the day I came up with a ton of different ideas. Anyway, this afternoon I had to have a look, so I opened the hood to notice that my air intake pipe (filter to turbo) was disconnected from the box. Embarrassingly, I apparently didn't tighten the clamp when I looked at the filter a few weeks ago. Ouch. Anyway, what must have been happening was that the sensor was registering everything was working (hence no codes being thrown) but it wasn't accurately communicating the air flow to the ECU, throwing everything off with fuel/air, boost etc.

Things got progressively better on my ride home and just to be sure, I disconnected my battery to ensure the ECU was complely cleared. Another test drive, and everyrhing is back to normal!

Thanks everyone for your help, greatly appreciated.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts