SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's seems to be a great disparity in pricing for cloning a replacement for ECU/ECM units. I'm curious if there's a valid reason for that. One source quoted $450, yet on Ebay I'm seeing prices as low as $75. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks/Daniel

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What you can't do is a full functional test on a used ECM you buy before using it in the car.

Neither can most of the small clone/tune shops. Those that can charge more for their used/refurbed ECMs. That and associated warranty have actual value. So does keeping your cloned ECM image in a database, for honoring a warranty.

If you price a clone + stage 1 tune together, the prices get rather more closely clustered.

If you price 2-3 eBay used/pulled ECMs, which it might take to find a good one, the prices also cluster more closely. I'm sure there are bad ECMs out there that have been bought and resold multiple times once the buyers realize they're NG. There are also (fewer) perfectly good ones that have been incorrectly diagnosed and replaced.

I think the idiom "You pays your money, and you takes your chances" applies pretty well here.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Add in a few hundred to find an actual good ECM. That's not profit, either.

Or, you can buy a $75 ECM on eBay and come here to start a new thread when it starts to fail a few weeks later, or jump into an existing thread and claim no used ECMs ever last more than two weeks (seen it here).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've gotten a bad ECU so I know how that feels, most cloning service will ask you to provide your own ECU. I was lucky to get a used Refurbished ECU from eeuro on ebay for $160 and its been working for the past 4-5weeks just fine. there is another used refurbished ECU from eeuro on ebay for 220, I would think a used refurbished ecu will have a better chance of working then a random junk yard pulled one.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You need to remove old ECU from car and add new ECU to car, both w/Tech 2.

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
You need to remove old ECU from car and add new ECU to car, both w/Tech 2.
You don't need to remove the old one. You can just add the new one with Tech2

Reactions: Hus_sho
1 - 10 of 10 Posts