SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a beautiful '05 9-3 Arc that is in great shape and very clean. I love everything about it, except it is not getting the gas mileage everyone who has a Saab told me I would get and not what Saab claimed it would get either. I am averaging 21-23 combined with the best on the highway being 27 or so running at 70mph the entire time. I drive like someone's grandma... no tearing around, no slamming on the gas or breaks, cruise on the highway at around 70mph, don't have a ton of extra weight in the car, etc etc. When I took the car in to get it checked top to bottom before I purchased it, the local Saab shop said it was in tip top shape and clean. So what gives??? I can't figure out why I'm not getting the mpg everyone else is. I hear 31-35 highway, 26-28 city, and combined 28-33. I get 21-23 combined and 27 highway!!! I'm coming up on my 60k tuneup, and I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't get the 30k tuneup done, or what. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
675 Posts
So I recently purchased a beautiful '05 9-3 Arc that is in great shape and very clean. I love everything about it, except it is not getting the gas mileage everyone who has a Saab told me I would get and not what Saab claimed it would get either. I am averaging 21-23 combined with the best on the highway being 27 or so running at 70mph the entire time. I drive like someone's grandma... no tearing around, no slamming on the gas or breaks, cruise on the highway at around 70mph, don't have a ton of extra weight in the car, etc etc. When I took the car in to get it checked top to bottom before I purchased it, the local Saab shop said it was in tip top shape and clean. So what gives??? I can't figure out why I'm not getting the mpg everyone else is. I hear 31-35 highway, 26-28 city, and combined 28-33. I get 21-23 combined and 27 highway!!! I'm coming up on my 60k tuneup, and I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't get the 30k tuneup done, or what. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.
Just a thought but try it for a day or two with the air con and traction control switched off and see what mpg you get then.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
also worth trying some fuel cleaner, i have used forte on several cars and its worked a treat! The amount of soot that came out of my diesel 9-3 was unreal! Mpg rose by 2-3miles too :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
'05 with 60k miles could use new spark plugs and air filter.
Easy DIY project that will definitely increase MPG (it did for me).
I would also clean the fuel system and check for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
There is no Tune up at 30K, 60K is Main Service, Plugs etc.

every one here has different driving styles and stories.... If I go Long Haul Highway, no local just a couple of toll stops at one point I can peak at 40 MPG, at the end of the day Point to Point I'll average 32 or so. Stop and go City local will get you down to 15-16... My normal average is about 21-2 doing suburban driving.

It was once said the "Average guy" gets 300-325 miles a Tank. On the other Hand If I drive 350 nonstop highway to Richmond, I'll have a quarter tank left.

Edit: My AC and TC/ESP are always on.....

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
The US EPA lists the car as 22/28 mpg. A few years ago, they downgraded all cars. The original 2005 EPA rating was approx. 23/29 or 30. So at 21-23/27, you aren't bad.

I think 26-28 in the city is not very realistic. I have a complete record of gas purchases since the car was new in 2005. I think my average is approx. 25.8 mpg (ranging from 19.9-35.8 mpg per tankful). Also the SID shows better than actual mpg and some may be using the SID to report mpg, not calculations from the mileage divided by the gas added.

As far as others' suggestions, premium gets me about 0.5 mpg more. The US EPA tested the 2005 9-3 and found 1 mpg (rounded off) better highway mileage with premium. It's one of the few cars that the EPA tested regular and premium.

A new air filter and spark plugs is a good idea.

Tires make some difference but I never choose tires because of fuel consumption. Check you tire pressure. Low pressure causes worse mpg, maybe (guessing) 2-3 mpg difference.

Make sure your AC compressor is off unless you are using the air conditioner.

If you are getting 22 mpg city, I wouldn't worry. 27 on the highway is a bit low. Perhaps you could fill up the tank, immediately get on the highway, drive 60-70 and fill up even 1/3 of a tank and see what mpg you get. If you fill up at 1/8, then there is a chance of different gas pumps influencing the calculation.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Cruising around in good weather (manual transmission) you should be getting +30 MPG on the highway. The only way you would not is if you are racing around in 4th gear, going +85 MPH, things like that. Otherwise it should exceed 30. The car was originally rated 31 highway. Now the rating is 29 for the car. I usually get 34 MPG on long trips (65-75 mph). 27 MPG equates to about 95-100 MPH if I remember.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just did a short trip on my 05 Aero. I almost always go about 73 on the highway with cruise on. I tested it for my entire trip which was about 240 miles and included some driving around town, got 31 mpg. Just on the highway I get roughly 33 or 34 mpg.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm getting 25.6

new tires average speed half stop and go half 72mph.. 36mph thanks to my old BMW computer.Check tire pressures also I ride at 34 and when I had the old tires 38Ft and 34 rear just a suggestion

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
First welcome to the board.

And your mpg is about right. City will be between 16-22 mph depending on how you drive.
Hwy will be between 26-33 mpg. Don't pay attention to people who say they get a a constant 34,36, or even 40 mpg. That's not real world. Only way to get that would be on a flat road with the cruise set at 45-50 mph.

And perhaps it is a little out of tune. A new set of plugs might help and is cheap to do--$11 ea.for the plugs and 1/2 hour labor.

And lastly the winter blend fuel in some northern states will lower the mpg by 2-5%.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow, I'm a bit surprised by these numbers. I'm by no means a hypermiler, yet I get 29-31mpg on average in my Viggen - when I DID try to drive for efficiency (65 on the highway, slow accel, lots of coasting), I hit 35mpg. Did not realize there was such a huge discrepancy between the ng and the SS. My wife's 08 9-3 Aero SC (2.8 auto) gets about 25, half town half highway. Seen as low as 19 and as high as 31.

Here in CT at least, winter mileage is at least 2mpg lower than summer, so keep that in mind. Check your plugs, filter, and tire pressure...I find it hard to believe you cant do better than 27 on the highway @ 70.

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would say change plugs(use denso or NGK) and a K&N air filter. At 60k I cant see there being any Vac leaks or injector issues

ps: make sure you gap you plugs

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same problem in my 03 9-3 Arc. I've gottem 27 mpg tops, and that was strictly highway. I've changed my plugs (gapped them), and air filter, checked my tire psi and everything else. Nothing seems to help. It actually got worse after I changed the plugs.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
1) winter gas/cold weather - Saabs take a long long time to warm up.
2) city driving - some is worse than others. My wife's commute is about 1.5 miles, the car near gets warm. She gets about 18mpg. Same car gets 30 mpg on the highway no sweat, maybe a little better with a tail wind at lower speeds.
3) your O2 sensor may be getting slow
4) spark plugs, air filter, oil may make a little difference.

·
Registered
103 Posts
1) This started back in late summer
2) During the week I do mostly highway driving.
3) This I will check
4) Used the dealer recommended spark plugs, air filter was bought at O'Reilly's (not K&N), oil is Mobil1 0w40. Any other oil recommendations?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.