SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,
I've read through all the threads and cannot find any write ups or detailed explinations on how to address the j16 repair. I know where the Ecu connection and o2 sensor plugs are located. Could someone be so kind as to discuss this with me. I'm about to break down and recode the computer. Thanks so much for any input on this its driving me nuts.

Dustin

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
well im having this currently also, but the reasoned is because i have removed the cat, as far as i know in t7 suite you can turn off the rear 02 sensor that should remove the p0420 for good.. just find someone who can tunes ecu's and they can turn it off for you..

·
Registered
614 Posts
I did a post with photos on this years ago. I did it to 3 of our 9-5s over the years. Learned about it from SWEDECAR on Saabnet. I will look for my old post.

Basically the ground wires for both O2 sensors go into the harness and connect together 2" or so from the ECU connector. The connection is a splice with blue and a grey wire from the O2 sensors connect to a black wire that goes to a pin in the ECU connector.

This junction splice is crimped. The brass and copper involved can to a dissimilar alloy type corrosion and the ground is interrupted by corrosion in the connection. Remember the O2 sensors are 0 to 1 volt signal so a little corrosion can mess up the ground.

The cure is to get in there and cut out the splice, solder the wires together instead, and use heat shrink tubing as insulation.

You have to lift the passenger side cowl, unplug the ECU plug [disconnect the battery first] Open the harness, clip the zip ties, find the blue and grey wires connecting to a black J16 and fix it.

Cure is permanent if you solder it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm curious to learn why this method or repair?
Are you sure the catalytic converter is good or...?
The B235's stock cats seem to enjoy pushing exhaust back into the engine reducing MAP pressure pretty substantially.. that's a good indicator to learn if one of them is partially clogged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts