SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that it's spring I'm paying more attention to keeping my car clean, and I happen to notice ALOT of paint chips on my car. I don't drive alot (~12k/yr) and I don't recall any road incidents of flying rocks or other debris. The hood is absolutely covered in paint chips, maybe about 50 total all less than 3mm wide. Two of them are chipped down to bare metal!!
I noticed more up the a-pillars and even along the fender, door beltline, and rear quarters. How in the world do you get a stone chip on the side of your car? I'm not convinced this is from road debris since there is so much chipping. Also my car is garaged so I'm pretty sure nobody has vandalized it.

Does anyone know of a paint related warranty issue with red 2004 93's?
Any advice on how to approach a dealer with this for a warranty covered repair?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't looked that closely at my car yet, but I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as yours. I do most of my driving (about 30000 km per year) on the highway, and in the winter there's lots of really coarse sand on the roads.

I don't know about your roads or your driving profile, but it sounds like there might be a problem with your paint. If I were you, I would try to make the dealer, or Saab, take responsibility for this.

FYI, I once had a Mercedes A-class. Bought it in January, and in April with about 7000 km on it, the hood had about a hundred rock chips, MOST of them down to the metal. That hood was steel (our Saabs have aluminum hoods), so they were all rusting as well. When I approached the dealer, they refused to take any responsibility for it, saying it was normal. I took it to consumer court and won, so they repainted it for me with no charge. That car had absolutely terrible paint, and after a while I had rock chips all over the car - pillars, doors, even the roof!

Again, I haven't looked that closely at my Saab yet, but I'm fairly sure the paint is much better than my old Mercedes'. Be tough with your dealer!

S

·
0 Posts
I have an '03 and i have about 8,900 miles on it and i have chips all over my hood. The paint on the side on my isde skirts (vector) is horrible, im talking a bout the paint visible on the lower side of the wheel well towards the back of the car, not towards the hood. I'm going to ask my service department if there is some kind of warranty on the paint. It's weak and it seems cheap and its pissing me off. So you're not the only one in this bout, ill keep you informed if I hear anything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just notice the hood on my 03 (24k miles) has some small chips - not 50 - but enough it pissed me off. I've been driving the same route to work for the last 13 years with many different cars - I've never had this many paint chips. I'll see what the service dept says, but I'm not going to get too upset - I only have a year left on the lease.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got 11000 miles on mine and not a single paint chip. I don't do a heck of a lot of highway driving though.

I remember I had friends with Saabs back in the mid 90's (I guess the cars were early 90's) and they were all peeling paint like crazy off the roof!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did anyone ever get any satisfaction from their dealer? I too have an '04 93SS with the premium package in Laser Red, and it is horrible. I got the car in February of '04, and it now has just a little over 25,000 miles on it. I will take pictures after I get it washed, and post for all to see, but the leading edge of the hood is bad, and there are even chips on the roof between the windshield and the sunroof.

The dealer will be getting a call.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
High speed on the interstate in heavy traffic will do this to just about any car. I do agree that the paint on these cars seems not up to snuff, but good luck getting anything on that. My car is just over 12K miles and I've got several nice paint chips on the hood . . . . life in the big city IMO. My previous SAAB (9-3 Viggen) had the same problem. They sell hood deflectors but they look like [email protected], IMO.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I highly doubt this is a warranty issue any more than getting a nail in the tire is a warranty issue.

I have just procured touch-up paint through my dealer for ~$10.

Inquiry: anyone who has applied touch-up paint, please share your experiences on best-practices and lessons learned. Thx!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Hi Michigander. I feel your pain. :evil:

I drive mostly highway, and my my hood looks like it has the measles. Chips, scratches, nicks too numerous to begin counting, and 2 small divits. After only 48,000 miles. I've resigned that on his 5th birthday I'll get him a new hood.

It happened on my old car too. No hood deflector or bra would help since the damage is almost 100% distributed all over the hood, not just the front part.

Michigan drivers get the unmitible joy of dealeing with all sorts of challanging obstables in the road, in addition ot the roads being in pretty bad condition. Plywood, tires, bugs, stones, rocks, pebbles, asphalt (from road patch crews who ironically are trying to fix the roads), nature in general, etc. I could go on & on & on, but I think most of you get the drift.

I too would love to know some best paractices for dealing with touch up paint as I have one on my trunk (?), but to touch up my hood would be a near-futile attempt at lunacy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Kinda why i liked my color choice in merlot red. It masks the hips well but I have noticed it and I do a high amount of highway driving. The only thing I could suggest is keep ur car as clean/shiny as possible to mask it. Eventually I will have the bottom front lip of car repainted for my scraping issues, as for the hood, I think a nail polish sized brush would do to touch it up. They like little nicks, I've seen 1 saab owner do that.

·
Registered
591 Posts
we all share the same pain! i have 15K mi on mine and have a few paint chips on the hood. i also just had my lower front spoiler re-painted since that looked horrible from all the paint chips and scratches:evil: cost me $140.

·
Super Moderator
19,782 Posts
Yeah, the cosmic blue doensn't help hide all the rock chips (quite a few for only 12.5k miles). Sorta makes me wish I had silver or grey.......

nah

:cool:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Inquiry: anyone who has applied touch-up paint, please share your experiences on best-practices and lessons learned.
there is a very good write-up on how to do this in a book made by Griot's. it is in their book on on to maintain your car's paint, etc..

the write-up might be on their site.

Jaime

·
Registered
266 Posts
My old car had horrible rock chips after only 37k miles. It even had them around the REAR wheelwells. The car's paint was very, very soft and it seems that the Saab's paint is similar. Mine already has an area etched on the hood where a little bug spatter stayed on it a few days without getting cleaned off. My car 2 cars ago had paint that was tough as cement... after 4 years and 40k miles it only had one tiny chip!

I think the newer paints that car manufacturers have having to use to meet new VOC regulations aren't as durable as the old, environmentally unfriendly ones.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My fav part about Michigan roads is when your driving into another state. While in Michigan it you hear your tires, thump thump thump from the road patches every 10 feet. The second you cross the state line into Ohio you dont hear a thing. Its like you shut your car off.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Finwake - "I highly doubt this is a warranty issue any more than getting a nail in the tire is a warranty issue.

I have just procured touch-up paint through my dealer for ~$10.

Inquiry: anyone who has applied touch-up paint, please share your experiences on best-practices and lessons learned. Thx!"

I also have paint chips on the hood of my car, not a mystery to me..I do alot of interstate driving in high traffic and remember being well behind a gravel truck one day and still hearing the dreaded sounds of gravel pinging off my car. :evil:

All in all, I would say I have about 50-75 very small chips..looks like fine ciggarette ashes on the car that wont wipe away.

I also just purchased touch-up paint from the dealer for $10, it should arrive any day now. I think a toothpick will be the easiest way to apply the tiny amount of paint needed for each one of these chips. It will be a long detailing day! I would be happy to post before/after pics

Diggs - "Yeah, the cosmic blue doensn't help hide all the rock chips (quite a few for only 12.5k miles). Sorta makes me wish I had silver or grey.......

nah

:cool:"

Oh hell no! I wouldnt trade my Cosmic for any other color! Its unbelieveable to me that they discontinued such a great color! It does add to the unique factor though! But happy to see the new lineup including Sapphire Blue - looks pretty close to Cosmic.

I do agree that white clearcoat scratch/chip stands out like a highligher pen on Cosmic Blue!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts