SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version: My 2004 93 is a manual 5 speed, I'd like to install 1 switch on my dash to tell it I'm in 4th gear and another to tell it I'm in Reverse, then disconnect anything that tells it otherwise. So I need to know how the Saab knows what gear it's in? where is that wiring harness? any photos, wire colouring or pin numbering would be so greatly appreciated I will never be able to tell you just how much, Thanks, Lee
Longer version: The Saab has well over 300k on the clock and for a turbo 2ltr the motor is still in great shape. It loses features on a regular basis, Luckily the Saab came out with over 50 luxury features so it has plenty to lose before i'll actually complain, the only feature I'm really trying to keep is the "It gets me from A to B" feature (my fav). lately it's been hard to keep that one. Replacing parts at the rate of failure has proved impossible for me, so for the last 2yrs if it's in the way and not a requirement by law, I remove it from the car then just try convince the Saab "it's all good, keep going!". This is working good for me, and it's stopping another Saab going to the scrap heap prematurely (that kills me). The car acts differently in each gear and I like how it behaves in 4th, if i could convince it I was always in 4th the whole thing would be so much nicer to driver. I currently crawl off the mark at a dangerously slow rate and it slowly gains a couple of revs, turbo gauge doesn't even show vacuum loss let alone boost, changing into 2nd in a relief as now you will get full throttle, but no boost, 3rd is way better again, now you get most of your boost and everything seems good, 4th I've noticed grabs a little more boost and 5th seems to back off that little bit that 3rd did. I'm not worried about any of these mods being irreversible if it keeps it alive and going, nobody else ever has to drive this thing, I saved it from being scrapped and i will be it's final owner one day, I'm only 39 and I never want another car. Yes everyone laughs when they hear I hope for another 40yrs out of this thing but unless there is a hole out the side of the engine block I am keen to keep it running one way or another. I'm keen to do the 4th gear mod regardless, once thats done i'll go back to fixing all the other things one at a time until it come back out of limp mode or whatever it's doing.
Currently won't start off the key, I put the reds on with the key and start it with a button i installed.
Also my sunroof is stuck open, when i hit close it half closes then opens again, any ideas on that would be helpfull too.
Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Sounds like you got a boost leak but hard to tell without data. Also, hold the little window lockout button on your driver's door as you close the sunroof. Once it closes never open it again. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lee again here,
In case I wasn't clear, I need to know where the switches are that tell it what gear it's in? I've had a quick look around the shifter and didn't see anything and am wondering if they are inside the gearbox itself, but the couple of wires there don't seem adequate unless I've missed a harness.
5 Speed Manual Gearbox.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
You can't do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you got a boost leak but hard to tell without data. Also, hold the little window lockout button on your driver's door as you close the sunroof. Once it closes never open it again. ;)
Hey Diggs, your a legend??.
You wouldn't believe it but my sunroof miraculously fixed itself before I tried your trick I gave it one last try, all worked fine. However, one of the many issues I didn't mention was the back windows when they hit top they go halfway back down again, holding the child lock button while putting them up works, they go all the way up and stay up! Awesome result dude, thanks heaps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't do that.
I'm sorry to disagree but can't isn't something I'm good at, it may be time consuming to figure out but it is only a matter of time and I will conquer this. Somewhere on the vehicle there are switches telling which gear it's in, once I locate that harness I will play with my multi-meter to help me make educated guesses at shorting out pairs until it believes it's in the gear I want. If there is true theory on what would stop me, I would be very interested and even more eager to hack it, please tell me what would stop me, as that is the first thing I need bypass. Cheers.

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
There are no switches for gears.
Trionic "knows" gears from engine revs and speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are no switches for gears.
Trionic "knows" gears from engine revs and speed.
Thanks for the response Mimmi.
So I may not be looking for a cluster of roughly 7 wires, it could be just a positive that gets its earth from the body, I need to pull about 140 and measure the signal on the speed wire and emulate it permanently, then do the same for revs. This should fool it into believing it's in 4th or 5th gear. I don't have a sports auto, it's just an old fashioned 5 speed manual with a clutch, I don't really know what trionic is, but that does still apply to my gearbox right? Sorry to question your knowledge but I do need to make sure you didn't miss which gearbox we are talking about.

I don't know the name of many things but I understand their workings just fine. At 12yrs old I sat an IQ test and scored 147. I was told I classify as a genius which means I also suffer from autism, most answers are just a matter of time for me, but if anyone can help me save time I'm all for it. I love to be taught, but I left school early as the teaching methods were far to slow and boring. This was probably a bad move as it has left me a little undereducated in some areas.

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
Again: There is NO switches etc for gears in MANUAL GEARBOX.
Why you want to tear your gearbox down anyway? If you want to disable boost limitation in 1&2 gears, it is much easier do it in Trionic sw.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
Thanks for the response Mimmi.
So I may not be looking for a cluster of roughly 7 wires, it could be just a positive that gets its earth from the body, I need to pull about 140 and measure the signal on the speed wire and emulate it permanently, then do the same for revs
Now with your "vehicle speed" emulator, you are terminally confusing ABS/TCS/ESP, which rely on speed signals (from all four wheels) to work properly. And with your "engine speed" emulator (which I don't believe is possible anyway) you are fooling the ECU about how the engine is working.

"This can't be done" is the simple version.

The more complicated version is "you would have to re-engineer your car's engine control electronics from scratch, and probably rebuild your brake system into one resembling a 1979 Ford Fairmot's, and then convince the other modules essential to operating the car that they ought to work in the absence of these key modules".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now with your "vehicle speed" emulator, you are terminally confusing ABS/TCS/ESP, which rely on speed signals (from all four wheels) to work properly. And with your "engine speed" emulator (which I don't believe is possible anyway) you are fooling the ECU about how the engine is working.

"This can't be done" is the simple version.

The more complicated version is "you would have to re-engineer your car's engine control electronics from scratch, and probably rebuild your brake system into one resembling a 1979 Ford Fairmot's, and then convince the other modules essential to operating the car that they ought to work in the absence of these key modules".
Cheers Edt,
Your comment makes much more sense to me than "you can't". But I do still appreciate Diggs responding to me at all, I hope I didn't offend him in any way. You are so right about all those dramas I would bring on myself if I did manage to fool the computer. I have managed to hack a couple of cars with a laptop but I'm thinking it might be time to buy (or try build) a tech2 tool. I've never actually seen one in action, I've managed so solve all my issues myself without ever visiting a mechanic. I've been reading this website for roughly 10yrs for hints and tips but only just found it necessary to join a couple of days ago. I don't get much free time to play cars these days so I will be stuck like this for a while is my guess, there is no MAF at the moment, maybe I should put one of them back on it too lol. When I go out in my Saab I only take the parts I want and leave the rest of the car in the shed. Nothing I own is stock, for instance, my google home mini has a 12inch speaker mounted in the roof, one mic in the lounge room and one in the dinning. I have invented a heater that spins your power meter backwards too, don't tell my power company that! I do like to tamper with things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts