SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Aero has the 17" alloy's, and I've been looking into winter wheel/tire combo's. Questions:

Can I fit 16" steelies?
What're some cheap wheels that will work?
Suggestions on wheels off old saab's (possibly 9-5's?)

TIA

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
16's should fit.....the offset from the 9-5 will not fit your 9-3ss, but the other way around is true....a 9-3ss wheel can fit any old 9-3 or 9-5, but not the other way around. :)

Paul

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know that when I ordered tires last year for both the '03 aero 9-5 and the '06 aero 9-3, that they both used the exact same tire/rims and that Tirerack had made no distinction between the tires when they were sent. No issues were noted on either car. And if you are in the market for some snows I have the ones from that were used on the 9-5 if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
bryubpharm said:
I know that when I ordered tires last year for both the '03 aero 9-5 and the '06 aero 9-3, that they both used the exact same tire/rims and that Tirerack had made no distinction between the tires when they were sent. No issues were noted on either car. And if you are in the market for some snows I have the ones from that were used on the 9-5 if you are interested.
Sure they might use the same tires, meaning the rim is the same size, BUT, the rims could have completely different offsets. That would ultimatly be the fit issues, not so much size

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming the offset was correct - do 16" wheels clear the calipers?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Yes they do - at least if you get the right rims they do. I have a set of 16" steels from a GM Vauxhall Vectra - you need to use 6mm spacers to make sure the calipers clear the front rims (it was very close and any rim deflection under cornering could have been dangerous).

I would think that some rims from another GM brand would fit - maybe look at the offsets for a Chevy Malibu? If you do get steels, the Saab plastic trims are only a few dollars and look OK - about the best trims I have seen. You can see the wheel studs through them which makes them look almost like alloys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts