SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post of which will no doubt be many more to come....

I've had my 9-3 for just over a month now and am starting to tackle the minor things that are irking me, first and foremost the incessant rattling coming from the rear brake pads when I go over any sudden imperfection in the road. If I apply the parking brake a few clicks or have my brake pedal depressed the noise is nonexistent so I'm 99.9% sure it has something to do with the pads floating around between the caliper and the rotor.

I read somewhere that the problem can be solved by using OEM pads but I find that hard to believe. I imagine I've lost the springs that keep the pads from moving around but I'm wondering about the comment about using OEM pads. Is it really necessary? I need to do a full pad replacement anyways and don't want to spend OEM prices unless its fully necessary.
Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Same problem, on the rear drivers side. Its not the spring on the outside of the caliper carrier, because that is intact and there is no pad movement. I'm going to take it apart this weekend, and I'll snap some pics. My best guess would be "four prong" spring that holds the inner pad tight to the piston has loosened or broken...

Edit: I have Akebono pads, they have been on for about 1.5 years, and the noise just started last week.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought, I couldn't move the outer pad at all with my fingers through the wheel and I haven't had a chance to get the car on stands yet, just gotta find the time to do it.
Is there a source for the inner springs online?

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
Jplipper said:
My best guess would be "four prong" spring that holds the inner pad tight to the piston has loosened or broken.
are you sure your no thinking of the fronts..thought the rears had a spring on the top of the back plate & one on the back of the back plate(1 was the early type other the later)

·
Registered
25 Posts
First post of which will no doubt be many more to come....

I've had my 9-3 for just over a month now and am starting to tackle the minor things that are irking me, first and foremost the incessant rattling coming from the rear brake pads when I go over any sudden imperfection in the road. If I apply the parking brake a few clicks or have my brake pedal depressed the noise is nonexistent so I'm 99.9% sure it has something to do with the pads floating around between the caliper and the rotor.

I read somewhere that the problem can be solved by using OEM pads but I find that hard to believe. I imagine I've lost the springs that keep the pads from moving around but I'm wondering about the comment about using OEM pads. Is it really necessary? I need to do a full pad replacement anyways and don't want to spend OEM prices unless its fully necessary.
Thanks.
Is it possible the pads are just fitted wrong? One pad has a spring on top which goes on the inboard side of the brake disc. Any easy way to tell is by looking at this picture:

The top pad is the outboard one & you'll be able to see the rivets (vertical middle) by looking at the calipers. If you can't see the rivets then the pads are reversed(I did it fitting pads in a rush during my lunch break). If you still have a rattle then I guess it may be possible for the spring on the Inboard pad to have fallen out. BTW, I have pagid pads fitted & no rattles now that they're in the right place :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
are you sure your no thinking of the fronts..thought the rears had a spring on the top of the back plate & one on the back of the back plate(1 was the early type other the later)
Yep, you are right. I was thinking of the front pads. The rear has that spring that clips over the piston (at least on mine). I kept an old set of pads when I replaced a caliper. It probably just slipped off of the piston. Mine do not look like the picture above though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The answer is simple, the wire spring ( see picture posted by gnavs below) fitted to the edge of the inner pads is not touching the inside of the calliper, Some after market pads use soft stainless wire.OEM pads should be better either way make sure the springs are under tension reshape gently if required, you can check the tension or lack of it through the calliper window. When refitting the calliper do not press the caliper into position any further than is necessary to allow the location pins to be fitted as this will over flex the spring and it will no longer do its job.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just saw this, and thought I would chime in. After having both the inner and outer pads come loose a few times, I realized that it was actually the caliper in my case that was the problem. The caliper was a reman unit from A1-Cardone. Apparently, they sent me the wrong caliper size because I could easily move it around through the wheel, so much so that the spring wasnt even touching the carrier. It was replaced under warranty through Rock Auto...problem solved, everything is nice and tight now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts