SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I received a warning on the SID saying that the Steering wheel lock has failed. This was right after my battery main switch finally went due to corrosion on the positive terminal from the previous owner. the car lost all power mid drive when that went and was turning on and off while on the road. I replaced the Battery main switch and the ignition switch but still get that warning. I was told by 2 Saab Techs that it is the CIM unit. One said that it just lost codes and needs to be reprogrammed. The other said I need a new CIM unit/keys ect... Has anybody else had this problem? And what did you have to do to fix it? My Car is an over sized paperweight right now and I really would love some tips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this is probably more the scl problem and not the cim at all. Or would I need a cim from a newer model along with the newer model scl. And with that what year model would you recommend for the switch?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Just went through this on an 03. You only need the SCL not the CIM. The Tech 2 programs the SCL to CIM.

One dealer had 2 techs and the service manage tell me they could only program a new SCL. Not true, as dealer #2 did reprogam an SCL from an 04. Can't help you with the best year. Search car-part.com to find a donor car. They won't list this part. Just search for a common shelf item like a steering column. One yard would not sell me the SCl thinking it was part of the column assembly. I pointed out that it is sold separately and is not part of the s-column as shown in parts list. BTW, you only need a hex tool to remove. Turn the hex screw "in" (right) to remove.

Reply if SCL is locked on the column. I found a way to release this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The scl needs to be reprogrammed still. I am taking it to the dealer and having them take a look. And as far as parts go I like to use Goldwing saab parts in hastings NY. They are used parts but come with a 1 year warranty. I will repost when I have more news.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news. The tech at the dealer hooked it to the techII and found that with the reboot from the bad battery main switch the scl unit was dropped from the system. He has reset the system and attached it back to the comp system. All together about $260.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got my car back and it seams to be working normal. After the battery main switch replaced the other day that messed up the scl. Re-programed it and all is good. Thank you to all that helped me find what was wrong.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
This reprograming should have only taken about a half hour or one hour with doodle time for a $110 hourly rate. Try to ask for a specific cost to perform just programing in the future and you may get a better fixed result.

Good luck and I'm happy you had an less eventful fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts