SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I came back from 4 weeks vacation and found that my car battery is completely dead. I should have unplugged the negative terminal but forgot as I was in rush before I left. Tried to get a jump from my friend's VW. As soon as the cables are connected, the car (dashboard, headlights etc.) lights up but when I try to ignite it..it just clicks but doesn't start. Battery is more than an year old.

If it's a battery issue, I would assume the lights wouldn't go-on. Do you guys think it's the battery or is it the starter? Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
19,643 Posts
Please don't jump it. Trickle only. If you must jump, read the manual!

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
should never try to jump start a car with a completely dead battery..don't be surprised to find you have possible fried some electronics due to a power surge..

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Hi Everyone

I came back from 4 weeks vacation and found that my car battery is completely dead. I should have unplugged the negative terminal but forgot as I was in rush before I left. Tried to get a jump from my friend's VW. As soon as the cables are connected, the car (dashboard, headlights etc.) lights up but when I try to ignite it..it just clicks but doesn't start. Battery is more than an year old.

If it's a battery issue, I would assume the lights wouldn't go-on. Do you guys think it's the battery or is it the starter? Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
For the future, if u plan a long trip and not uusing the car for a while. U can move the fuse inn the under hood fuse box to the "TRANSPORT" position.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Guys,

Recharging the battery worked. I removed the battery, had it recharged in a workshop for a 6 hours and then reinstated it. I still had to jump it first time around but followed the instructions.

I would like to thank GRMEYERS, DIGGS & AEROJON for your suggestions.

SAABALINGUS - Going forward, will follow your advice whenever I am gone for more than a week.

Thanks again for your time and inputs;ol;!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts