SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2003 linear 9-3 about 8months ago when i bought it i had to replace the ecu and valve cover gasket. After valve cover gasket was replaced about 3 months of me owning it i was leak free, car drove like a beauty, Now that was about 5 months ago the valve cover was replaced and now its leaking again right near the turbo, as well as my timing cover gasket or crank seal and randomly my oil level sensor on the oil pan started leaking and i think from the sensor itself not the oring. I am stuck on why every gasket is starting to go out, ive heard the pcv valve had an upgrade you can buy pcv #6 is it blowby? just old gaskets leaking from hidden sludge being removed from my oil changes? cylinder 3 spark plug does not sit all the way down as old owner stripped it and havent gotten around to get a timesert in just a helicoil thats barely threaded in but that doesnt cause any misfires just thought id mention it. Just lost on why everything is going bad in such a short time period, Car has 176k but ive kept up on simple maintenance since ive purchased it. any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1,914 Posts
Hard to say a 17-year old car is “such a short time” IMO. Nearly 20 years and 200K miles, I suspect the gaskets have made it to their expected lifespan...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly thats what i was thinking, Was thinking i flushed all the sludge out that was keeping them from leaking and boom my problems occurred, i will replace all gaskets and check pcv and go from there thankyou!

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
That PVC#6 whatever stuff is OG9-3. You likely do need a new PCV and the manifold has to come off to get to it. It's fun with the SAI pump in the way (ask me how I know). I would try that first before tackling any other gaskets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That PVC#6 whatever stuff is OG9-3. You likely do need a new PCV and the manifold has to come off to get to it. It's fun with the SAI pump in the way (ask me how I know). I would try that first before tackling any other gaskets.
yes but gaskets would need replaced anyways considering there leaking right

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Not if the PCV has failed preventing crankcase from being able to maintain pressure. Try that first then see what else might need done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not if the PCV has failed preventing crankcase from being able to maintain pressure. Try that first then see what else might need done.
i know how to get to pcv but how would i check for any defects in the system and issues?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i know how to get to pcv but how would i check for any defects in the system and issues?
the first thing you should do is pull the oil filler cap off of the valve cover and see if you have pressure in the crankcase at idle. pressure is bad, we don't want that, you want a slight vacuum at idle. a good way to do that is with a rubber glove, sometimes trying to do it with your bare hand feeling for vacuum / pressure can be misleading. I recently replaced the check valve on my '06 2.0T. once you remove the computer, throttle body, intake manifold, ect. and have the old check valve out you can blow through it to see if its no longer a one way valve to confirm that was your issue. it will be hard to source a check valve. I looked everywhere online and oddly enough found it by calling advance auto parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the first thing you should do is pull the oil filler cap off of the valve cover and see if you have pressure in the crankcase at idle. pressure is bad, we don't want that, you want a slight vacuum at idle. a good way to do that is with a rubber glove, sometimes trying to do it with your bare hand feeling for vacuum / pressure can be misleading. I recently replaced the check valve on my '06 2.0T. once you remove the computer, throttle body, intake manifold, ect. and have the old check valve out you can blow through it to see if its no longer a one way valve to confirm that was your issue. it will be hard to source a check valve. I looked everywhere online and oddly enough found it by calling advance auto parts.
took the oil filler cap off at idle and its burpin a bunch, good or bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
might be hard to tell on that size hole without a glove. the next thing you can try is putting that oil fill cap back on, the removing the small black vacuum line on the passenger side of the engine that attaches to the top rear of the engine. I don't remember if you need to pull the plastic cover from the valve cover to get to it. same test, engine idling, put your finger over the hole, if you feel suction then its good, if you're still not sure the pcv check valve is probably not functioning properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts