SaabCentral Forums banner

03 9-5 Aero slave cylinder help

1706 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  unclemiltie
I bought an 03 9-5 Aero a bit ago. Guy said the clutch went out, I put it in gear and drove it home after paying $700US. I've researched a good bit about it, but i'm looking for a walkthrough guide of what i need to do. I.E. Any tools/book i will need, the process of changing it, and what all parts i should go ahead and change to prevent further having to bust it all open again any time soon. I priced the work around here (Louisiana), one guy said $1600 and another said $800. Id rather do it myself, but i want to do it correctly. I've read previous posts, so i know you guys are savvy, and i am looking forward to reading all of you guys advice. I really like the car, so i'm killing myself anticipating driving it around in correct operating condition :)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,189 Posts
800 bucks? well worth it. It involves dropping a subframe which can be a pain for older cars due to bolts seizing.
Google around, you will see lots of threads about how to change a clutch. Its quite an involved job on these cars.

· Registered
8,043 Posts
you can also pull the engine/trans out the top if you have a hoist.

If you think you might want to do the timing chains take the engine out the top and do them while it's out.

if you think you might want to do the subframe bushings, take the transmission out the bottom, you can leave the engine in.

This:

http://www.twinsaabs.com/9-5_repair/suspension/subframe/intro.asp?nsteps=5

is the best tutorial on how to remove the subframe, the transmission is pretty easy after that.

I did mine by taking the engine out the top since the engine was toast, did the clutch and slave while it was out. Steep pull, take crank pulley off or it won't come out. a load leveler or something to help move the engine/trans around while pulling (I used a come along) is absolutely necessary.

Also, remember to bleed the slave before you bolt the transmission to the engine and put it in. CAn't be bled in the car so it'll be coming back out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.