·
Super Moderator
19,212 Posts
no

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not I thought all turbos can be exchanged as long as it fits the wastegate and a proper tune.?

·
Super Moderator
19,212 Posts
GT17

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
If you have a 1999, it's Garrett T25. If it's a '00 or later OG 9-3 you have the Garrett GT17 or if a HOT car (8th digiit of VIN is K) you have a Mitsu TD04-15T.

Are you replacing your turbo because it's got issues or looking to upgrade?

EDIT: "Why not I thought all turbos can be exchanged as long as it fits the wastegate and a proper tune.?"

Anything can be done given time and money... the best choice though is usually the easy and well blazed trail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which turbo is better out of the GT 17 and the TDO4-15T. I looked at mine and it's a Garret, but would the TD04 bolt up and work without fuss?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
As for "better", I think everyone would agree on the TD04. It spins up as fast as the smaller GT17 but it has a lot more oomph. I bought a GT17 car with a stage 1 upgrade to about the same HP as the TD04/HOT, but it just wasn't the same as my TD04. Lacked body. I'm talking daily diving... the TD04 definitely wins if you're looking for higher end as it has a lot more room "on top".

The TD04 will bolt up. You will need the lines from the TD04. If you look in the Modifications forum you'll see some posts from me asking the same questions as I had a GT17 car I was going to upgrade. Look for posts there from me some time between November 2017 and before July 2018.

I even have a TD04 I'd sell you (that car is gone and I have another spare). I'm told it ran fine, but it has a little play so I think it needs a cartridge, so consider it a core. I might or might not have the TD04 lines at this point. Have to look. Or you could hit the u-pull and get it all in one sure swoop if they have a HOT 9-3.

You'll also need an ECU change to the HOT software. You could just get an ECU direct from a HOT 9-3 and have someone with a Tech II change the VIN / Immobilizer to your car. You could drive to someone with your current ECU and just swap them, program, and drive home. Easy peasy. Or you could get an ECU ready to plug-n-play run from a tuner with the HOT / TD04 programming. But, If you have to pay a tuner, you might as well get a Stage 1 or 2 for the same price. There's a strong chance I could sell you a spare ECU tune too... and sometime in the near future actually have it programmed to plug-n-play (but I won't be selling tunes, just the stock HOT).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have a 1999, it's Garrett T25. If it's a '00 or later OG 9-3 you have the Garrett GT17 or if a HOT car (8th digiit of VIN is K) you have a Mitsu TD04-15T.

Are you replacing your turbo because it's got issues or looking to upgrade?

EDIT: "Why not I thought all turbos can be exchanged as long as it fits the wastegate and a proper tune.?"

Anything can be done given time and money... the best choice though is usually the easy and well blazed trail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes mine is a 99 so it's gt25 is that a better one I was looking at youtube and I was trying to see how to hook up a boost controller. Do you know how to hook one of those up.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
NOT a GT25 - a T25. Important distinction.

I don't think anybody uses boost controllers in Saabs anymore... not for well over 10 years. Tunes are freely available and far more productive.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
It has to be married first, and you can't simply plug in an ECM from an engine with different displacement... that will not work.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Oh, I misunderstood your question of GT17 vs. TD04 then... and I gave you some incorrect info. With a '99 and a T25, you you can still definitely upgrade to a TD04. A number of guys have done that. But, my memory is foggy. I think the TD04 will bolt on to the T25 flange and it just needs a reclock to work. You will probably want to get the hoses and intercooler for the TD04 but I think it works without that and with just the reclocking. Look for posts in the modifications forum. It's definitely there but might require some googling of the mods forum to find the info.

FWIW, T25 is a good turbo and does some nice stage 1 & 2. Your 2.3 ECU will not work with your '99. You need a T5 ECU, reprogrammed to different parameters for the TD04 turbo. It will run with what you have, but it won't be optimized and won't gain much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info what year car does the TD04 come in and the T5ECU, along with what does relocking mean. I'm new to the Saab style n I love it. I'm actually looking for a Saab wagon with the 6 speed manual transmission and the 2.3 or 2.8. just do I can make my 99 a nice sleeper.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
US Market:

The turbo NG900 from 1994 to 1998 came with the Trionic 5 system (T5), the 2.0 204L motor, the T25 Garett. and a non-cross flow (inlet/outlet on same side) intercooler. 185HP.

The OG 9-3 in 1999 came with the same T5 as the NG900 or with the new "HOT" (High Output Turbo). That added a cross flow intercooler and an ECU tweak. 205HP. This was primarily in response to aftermarket tweaking going on... Saab also started to sell ECU upgrades directly at this point. The 8th character of the VIN on these cars is a "K".

The only physical differences are the intercooler, a different hose to accommodate the inbound hose moving to the right side, and a change to the plastic radiator blocking panels that the intercooler hoses pass through (new hose on the right, one less on the left). The ECU is the same, just different parameters.

The OG 9-3 in 2000 came with the Trionic 7 (T7) B205 motor. It featured the Garrett Gt17 turbo (185HP) or the Mitsubishi TD04-15t HOT (210HP) version. The SE model was always the HOT version. The 8th character of the VIN on these cars is a "K". Both engines are identical physically aside from the turbo variation. The turbo change requires a change to the hard lines to the turbo. I believe the oil return on the bottom of the turbo is marginally different (silicone or stainless). Once again the ECU is the same, just a software tweak for the uprated turbo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts