SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to the site but have been a long time reader. Anyways, a little over a week ago I noticed a strange rythmic vibration coming from my engine. This started on a very cold morning (-3F) when I was driving to work. This vibration is directly linked to engine RPMs. The faster the RPMs, the more often the vibration comes in and goes out. Shortly after noticing this vibration I was able to hear a chich-chich chichhhhh coming from the serp belt area. It's definitely a metal on metal sound and is also directly related to the engine RPMs. From my past experience, my guess is it's a bearing that has gone bad and the vibration is from a pulley that has become somewhat loose because of bearing being ground down. I took it to a shop to have them diagnose the problem and they said it was for sure the Serp belt tensioner. I went ahead and replaced the serp belt tensioner only to find out that it WASN'T the serp belt tensioner at all.

The only other options for bad pulleys on the serp belt are the Crankshaft pulley, AC pulley and the Alternator pulley.

Has anybody had this similar problem?

The ****ing idiots at the shop I took it to before (they actually somehow have a good reputation) are going to look at it Tuesday but since they already failed me once, I don't think I can trust them again. Anybody have any ideas or have had past experience with this type of thing?

Thanks in advance,

Curt

Oh yeah - details of my car:
2003 9-3 linear
52k miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the timing cover close to the rear of the engine compartment is a little cover with 4 bolts holding it on. That is your access to the timing gear of the water pump. Put a long screwdriver or extension on it and listen to see of that's your noise. Your water pump is driven off a seperate "timing" chain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I've got the shop looking at it again because I don't have any time this week that I can take it to my garage and tear it apart.

I will let you know what the verdict is....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
****. So I talked to the guys that originally diagnosed my car...they are idiots. They think it's the timing chain tensioner and guides. They said it would be $1,200 to fix it...which is ridiculous. I told them that I think it's the water pump and he said it can't be because the sound is coming from the front of the engine...which it's not. It sounds like it's coming from the exact spot where the water pump is.

What do you guys recommend I do now?

I guess my next step is to do what brain recommended...thing is there aren't any liquid indications that the water pump has failed....

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
If your water pump failed you would be running hot, not to say it could be not be on the way to failing. Get a second opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aahhh ****. So as of right now no one can figure out what the problem is. People have their guesses that it's one thing or the other but even the shops can't figure it out. So, here are the possible causes of the problem:

1. Water pump bearing is toast (at ****ing 50k miles)

- I'm going to do what Brian said and take off that back cover to see if that's it but I won't have the oppertunity to do that for atleast a couple days.

2. Something with either of the internal timing chains.

-The idiots at the original shop I took it to said they think it's the balance chain tensioner and guides. They said it will be $1,200 to fix it and they can get started right away but they warned me that might not fix it!!!! holy **** I can't believe how stupid those guys are. "yeah, here's $1,200 to MAYBE fix my car!!!"

I love my Saab dearly but I'm about to go start the thing on fire. hah ontop of all this someone hit my saab's bumper last friday and put a huge gash in it! ...thing has had bad luck these last two weeks.

Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 03 9-3, was rattling and roughing really rough, took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the guides on the timing chain and all was sweet, can't tell you how much it would have cost me though as it was done under warranty, was a less than 1 day job though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm, that's good to know. Unfortunetly my sound isn't so much a raddle as it is a spinning metal on metal scratching sound. it does about two to three chich chich chichs a second then might pause for a second or two which leads me to believe it's a bearing. I will have them check it out tho. Do you guys know of any good saab places to take it to in the Madison, WI area?

Thank you,

Curt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Umm as far as I know it's nothing along the serp belt. It's internal and coming from one of the two timing chain or water pump. It's to hard to say at this point and that's where I'm running into problems. No one can really diagnose it without tearing apart the engine resulting in 3-4 hours of work.

Is it possible that one of the tensioners or guides has become loose and is causing the problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi i have just got a 93 0n a 03 plate and mine when i bought it is making a similar sound when the car starts up it makes a rattle sound as if something is knocking slight. the car went to saab reading whom said that it is the waterpump but it is still ok to use after the car warms the sound sorta goes but will have new pump put on soon to be safe..the garage i bought it from said that his macanic thought it was the timing chane but when it went to saab they said no the bearings in the alternator had gone which they replaced and the other sound similar to yours is the above (waterpump) hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
High Explosive said:
Hi i have just got a 93 0n a 03 plate and mine when i bought it is making a similar sound when the car starts up it makes a rattle sound as if something is knocking slight. the car went to saab reading whom said that it is the waterpump but it is still ok to use after the car warms the sound sorta goes but will have new pump put on soon to be safe..the garage i bought it from said that his macanic thought it was the timing chane but when it went to saab they said no the bearings in the alternator had gone which they replaced and the other sound similar to yours is the above (waterpump) hope this helps.
Had a new water pump fitted today and the noise is still their so have told saab they will pay for it not me as they said it was that and getting them to investigate timing chain and tension???

·
Registered
28 Posts
CurtOGR ~

"2. Something with either of the internal timing chains."

I had this problem with my '05 1.8t 'vert last year. It was the balance chain, tensioners and guides which were replaced under warranty. The sound was a knocking / rattling sound (like a sticking hydraulic tappet) when cold, which went away after the first few seconds or so. This doesn't sound like your problem. As has been suggested, a mechanic's stethoscope will soon identify whether it is coming from the chain drives or not. But, would guess that it will need to be stripped down to confirm the diagnosis.

High Explosive ~ Sounds very like my problem with the balance chain. Sorry to impart (possible) bad news, but it was most of a day's work to strip the front end of the engine, and replaced the chain and tensioners. Good news is (touch wood, and hoping that I am not tempting fate !) that all is still OK 32,000 miles after the repair !

Hope that this helps you both.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Noise diagnosis can be a real pain. CurtOGR, if I were you I'd start with the "easy" stuff.
Verify whether the drive belt or accessory drive components are causing the problem or not, and then take if from there.
Remove the drive belt and operate the engine for a few seconds to see if the problem is still there. This will verify if the problem is related to the drive belt or not.
I'd also check the groove of the belt pulley for accumulation of rubber dust forming small balls (pilling). You can use e.g. a wire brush to clean the groove.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This may sound funny however, It sounds like your problem was with the alternator decoupler. This is the pulley on the front of the alternator. It is there to absorb vibration but when it fails, you will notice some pretty strange metalic or ticking noises from around the belt drive area. For more info on this alternator decoupler you should go to www.tendeco.com. They have a great tech tips section with some videos and some great articles.

OAD = overrunning alternator decoupler

Its like a suspension system for your alternator.

Valjean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.