SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anything OTHER than the sender

I have an '08 9-3 that runs beautifully. Fuel gauge stopped working MID-DRIVE to upstate NY to pick up my son. Ran out of gas with the computer saying I have 54 miles to empty.
Took it to my Saab only mechanic, who replaced the float/sender unit. Didn't work so he figured we got a bad unit. Replaced it again - still doesn't work.
Gauge stays on E with light on
Computer just shows --- under "miles to empty"

Any other known issues beyond sender? He was just considering a new instrument cluster HOWEVER
- every gauge works - turbo, temperature etc
- given that the light on the gas gauge works, does it stand to reason that the gauge itself works?

H E L P
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
19,129 Posts
I have an '08 9-3 that runs beautifully. Fuel gauge stopped working MID-DRIVE to upstate NY to pick up my son. Ran out of gas with the computer saying I have 54 miles to empty.
Took it to my Saab only mechanic, who replaced the float/sender unit. Didn't work so he figured we got a bad unit. Replaced it again - still doesn't work.
Gauge stays on E with light on
Computer just shows --- under "miles to empty"

Any other known issues beyond sender? He was just considering a new instrument cluster HOWEVER
- every gauge works - turbo, temperature etc
- given that the light on the gas gauge works, does it stand to reason that the gauge itself works?

H E L P
Thanks,
I think the SID gets it's info from the ECU, not the gas gauge. So if it is reading --- then the ECU must not be getting a reading from the pump/sender. Which means either there is an ECU issue or a wiring issue from the sender. I think the gas light being on on the cluster shows that it is fine, just that it can't tell how much gas there is so it is lighting up so you will notice.

You know what...I bet the sender was wired with the wrong polarity. Top it off and drive it and see if gauge rises.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts