SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just ordered a balance chain replacement kit for 2.0T. I have a nasty oscilating vibration and a ticking noise on start up. Anyways, the kit comes with a few bolts, a sprocket, a new balance chain, a tensioner and the new chain guides. Does anybody know if i have to touch the timing of the engine ( removing timing chain)? I dont like messing with timing because you usually need special tools. Thanks alot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help! Sorry for the late reponse. After reading that post it looks like i have to remove the timing chain and thats not something im comfortable doing in my garage. Do you have any idea what a shop would charge to replace the balance chain, guides and tensioner. Even a ballpark would be appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Why u have to replace the balance chain, open it up first, check the condition of the sprockets, guides, tensioner.
If the sprockets are fine, then the chain is probably fine.
Inspect the other component and replace whats necessary from guides & tensioner.
If i remember correctly, only upper guide is not replaceable with the timing chain ON, others all replaceable.
Check this video out:

https://youtu.be/RcnIti2vPWk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts