SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my viggen in today for servicing and was given an 07 sedan as my loaner for the day; and I must say WOW, what a difference!

I was slightly dissapointed to be honest. There are a few things that I have come accustomed to from driving my 02 saab that I just expected to exist in the newer models. The missing saab factors include:

- any driver involvement
- any hint of the trademark saab 4 banger sound
- stereo with some serious thump
- little flaps that prevent washer fluid from dripping on to the side windows
- the super intuitive dash layout
- classy soft touch interior bits
- soft chair like leather that wraps you in happiness
- The trunk space I am used to having at my disposal

Although, the newer saabs have gained:
- really compliant and refined ride
- a cool metal-less key
- parking brake integrated in to the center console to look like a hand grip
- rear seat cup holders

I am sure the list goes on ... so please add to it. Thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Warren9-3 said:
I took my Viggen in today for servicing and was given an 07 sedan as my loaner for the day; and I must say WOW, what a difference!

I was slightly disappointed to be honest. There are a few things that I have come accustomed to from driving my 02 Saab that I just expected to exist in the newer models. The missing Saab factors include:

- any driver involvement This is an Oldsmobile, not a Saab ??
- any hint of the trademark Saab 4 banger sound The Saab engine is no more
- stereo with some serious thump "thump" is a noise..
Bring on Beethoven and Bach and Mozart
- little flaps that prevent washer fluid from dripping on to the side windows...A nice little feature that makes a SAAB a Saab..
- the super intuitive dash layout Oldsmobile again
- classy soft touch interior bits When did Saab have these ?
- soft chair like leather that wraps you in happiness Try the original Saab 99 seats for comfort, second only to Volvo.
- The trunk space I am used to having at my disposal...Strangly enough, GM considers the hatch-back to be an "econ-o-box" feature..

Although, the newer SAABs have gained:
- really compliant and refined ride Finally
- a cool metal-less key Interesting, very interesting - but , to me, "cool" features are not necessarily good..
- parking brake integrated in to the center console to look like a hand grip But is its action as good as or better than a VW or a Honda ??
- rear seat cup holders Oh boy, I'll have to order mine today !:cheesy:

I am sure the list goes on ... so please add to it. Thanks
In order to survive, Saab and GM must return to their roots and learn what made them successful ..Then from this basis, improve, not change, but make it better, more durable, more serviceable.
If something major, like the timing chain does not work - scrap it (if it cannot be improved)
If something extremely minor like cup holders, improve, but with low priority...
The Japanese competition is tough.
We must learn why !!
One word "RESPECT"..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts