SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case others are having a similar issue.

I had a Brake Light Failure message on the SID. Of course, I thought it was a simple "one of the lights/bulbs was out"...no, WRONG - not gonna be that easy.

- Checked the bulbs - all good
- Checked fuses - all good
- Checked the 3rd Brake light housing and bulbs - oh, well, the housing basically just fell apart. Ordered a new one, installed - great - oops, still getting the SID message, crap.
- Began to look for other causes, wiring, plugs, etc. All the connector plugs look good, but No Voltage at the connector feeding the 3rd Brake Light...hmmm
- Found a couple threads here suggesting that it might be the Ground near the Left rear tail light housing. Checked that - all good.
- Found another thread suggesting that the wiring might have cracked/kinked/etc inside the plastic housing feeding from the body to the trunk lid. Ok, since I had a similar issue with my old Miata, that sounded promising and likely, so let's check that...
- Checked for Voltage behind Left Rear Tail Light - same color wires as in the connector to 3rd Brake Light - YES - good voltage there!
- I traced the same color wires down from the connector at the 3rd Brake Light to the next connector in line - No Voltage there either...so we're getting closer!
- Pulled back the plastic "conduit" feeding from the left fender to the trunk, and BEHOLD!!!, a broken wire....and the same color as the 3rd Brake Light connector plug...GOTCHA!!!

Spliced in some wire, tightened up the prongs in the connector to the 3rd Brake Light and YAY!! Problem solved....(ok, so it took like two months of intermittent poking and prodding, plus searching here, etc., but who's counting??)

Good luck and I hope this helps if you've got something similar going on.

Kendal

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Good to know! The 9-5 sedans are infamous for various wires breaking in their trunk hinge. Sometimes it's a brake light wire, other times it's the latch, and in my case, it was the wire for the trunk light. I hadn't heard that the 9-3 convertible suffered from the same problems, but it makes sense. It probably uses a similar design.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts