SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I finally got my hands on a cosmic blue Aero wagon! While it is an automatic, I'm still very happy with it. It's got mountains of service records from the previous owner who owned it since new. 160k miles for the price of..... $900!!! Also included was a new set of front brakes, tensioner, idler pulley, heater bypass valve....I'm waiting for something crazy to show up but it really drove quite nice on the 2 hour ride home

Anyways, I'm gonna do a general tune up, and it has an exhaust leak. I'm wondering if I can simply drop the entire exhaust from my '02 linear sedan in to it? Is that hard to do without a lift? I know the tailpipe is different, is there anything else? Is this dangerous or hard to do? I'm considering having a shop do it for me while also doing the brakes (brakes and exhaust are actually the only things I like to do myself), but if it's nearly plug and play then I'll go for it and save myself a penny

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Hi,

I finally got my hands on a cosmic blue Aero wagon! While it is an automatic, I'm still very happy with it. It's got mountains of service records from the previous owner who owned it since new. 160k miles for the price of..... $900!!! Also included was a new set of front brakes, tensioner, idler pulley, heater bypass valve....I'm waiting for something crazy to show up but it really drove quite nice on the 2 hour ride home

Anyways, I'm gonna do a general tune up, and it has an exhaust leak. I'm wondering if I can simply drop the entire exhaust from my '02 linear sedan in to it? Is that hard to do without a lift? I know the tailpipe is different, is there anything else? Is this dangerous or hard to do? I'm considering having a shop do it for me while also doing the brakes (brakes and exhaust are actually the only things I like to do myself), but if it's nearly plug and play then I'll go for it and save myself a penny
It may or not be plug and play. It depends on a bunch of factors.
I know when I replaced parts of my exhaust with another Saab 9-5 exhaust, it didn't line up, the bends were slightly different for the muffler.
It depends if your entire exhaust is factory or if parts have already been replaced (the Saab exhaust is a slide over design that requires no gaskets/flanges, and yes it's actually written in the WIS).
If parts have been replaced and flanges were added, it may turn out to be a bigger DIY job to swap the exhausts over. You'll have to look at the part #'s for those years and see if everything matches up.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I haven't done anything to my 2004 yet because the nuts/bolts either side of the flexi joint (EPC calls it the intermediate pipe) aft of the cat are rusted beyond recognition. I'll just wait until something actually breaks.

If I understand the EPC correctly the downpipes/3-way cat section differs between the B205 and B234 engines, the centre section is common, and the rear silencer appears to be interchangeable, the variations being 1) the polished tailpipe sleeve, 2) without the sleeve and requiring a cutout in the bumper and 3) "Downward exit tailpipe" which is presumably like the diesels have in Europe. I would have thought the larger polished tailpipe sleeve would require the biggest cutout in the bumper.....

I don't know whether Linears in your country were B205 or B234. There are no regional variation codes in the EPC for the exhaust. There's no 4-door vs. 5-door difference either so thats a bonus.

Doug

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
as for your question on the lift. The entire exhaust from the cat back will drop essentially straight down once you disconnect the rubber things that hold it. you might have to take out the few bolts that hold the center stiffener plate that the exhaust goes through but other than that, no lift needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts