SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just bought an 02 aero that is a manual and had a question on the shifting. Is it common that you have to push it quite hard to the right and down for reverse? It does say in the owners manual that it needs to be a hard right and then down.

Also to go into 5th gear I need to pull up on the lever just below the shift know otherwise it won't go over to 5th. Is this common as well seems odd and I drove a viggen a little while back that I don't remember having to do this to. If this is not normal what would cause these two items?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
OK, I just bought an 02 aero that is a manual and had a question on the shifting. Is it common that you have to push it quite hard to the right and down for reverse? It does say in the owners manual that it needs to be a hard right and then down.

Also to go into 5th gear I need to pull up on the lever just below the shift know otherwise it won't go over to 5th. Is this common as well seems odd and I drove a viggen a little while back that I don't remember having to do this to. If this is not normal what would cause these two items?

Thanks!
the car is equiped, or should be equiped with a reverse lockout collar. you have to pull up on it in order to shift into reverse. for fifth gear you should just be able to pull to the right and up and be fine. if the previous owner has done any clutch work or gearbox change they may or may not have adjusted the shift linkage properly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is equipped with the lever below the shift knob that you pull up. So is this an adjustment thing that needs to be fixed to not have to pull it up to go into 5th gear? I don't have a history of the car or if it has had clutch work done on it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yes it is equipped with the lever below the shift knob that you pull up. So is this an adjustment thing that needs to be fixed to not have to pull it up to go into 5th gear? I don't have a history of the car or if it has had clutch work done on it.
you shouldnt have to pull up in order to go into fifth gear. I would pull back the shift boot and look and see if anything is amiss. with the car off play around with the gear making note of how it shifts and see what is causing you to have to pull up.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
When you pull up on the shifter release/lock for reverse; the white plastic piece on the shifter should engage the metal piece on the right in the picture; sometimes that Plastic piece moves and jams the shifter readjust it and you should be fine.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
Never force a gear change. You could ruin the synchros.

You can see the above photo by pulling the leather boot back where it rests againist the wood veneer.. Take one corner and pull outward as it has an elastic band holding it on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok that helps I looked at mine and it has a stopper on the entire right side did someone put the wrong one in? It says saab on it I will try and post a pic later

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah that is the exact one that I have you can see the tab goes all the way up the right side so you have to lift the lever up to get it into 5th gear. It is almost like it is too far to the right I will need to examine it closer and see if it got put in wrong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I looked it over a little more and it is installed correctly. It is like the shift lever/gears need to be moved to the left slightly is there any adjustment that can be made on this? The reason i have to pull so hard to the right and then down is due to the shift lever hitting the plastic stop (even with the reverse stop lifted up). Also I have no idea if the clutch has ever been replaced or if this is something that would be adjusted on a replacement.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Can you post a picture?

OK I looked it over a little more and it is installed correctly. It is like the shift lever/gears need to be moved to the left slightly is there any adjustment that can be made on this? The reason i have to pull so hard to the right and then down is due to the shift lever hitting the plastic stop (even with the reverse stop lifted up). Also I have no idea if the clutch has ever been replaced or if this is something that would be adjusted on a replacement.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the pics that I took it looks just like it should. But you have to pull the release lever up to get into 5th gear. There is no adjustment on the plastic piece that I can see as it is hooked into a metal tab that comes up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
OK, the lip on the bottom of the shift release has to slide onto the lip of the white plastic piece when you engage reverse; if it gets jammed on that plastic pieces grab hold of the shift knob and turn it left until you can engage 5th, and when you pull up on the release it locks on to the white piece in reverse.

Here are the pics that I took it looks just like it should. But you have to pull the release lever up to get into 5th gear. There is no adjustment on the plastic piece that I can see as it is hooked into a metal tab that comes up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts