SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2002 9-5 Aero with 91,000 miles. First cold day came to the South today and tried to run the heater. No heat, even on High. Cold A/C still works great on warm days. Just no heat at all.

• No fault codes when running an ACC diagnostic.
  • Deleted Coolant Bypass Valve (CBV) about a year ago.
  • Hot pipes on Supply and Return side of heater core. Return quickly heats when engine is warm. Seems like there's good flow through heater core.
  • Obscure Idea: Checked that the outside temp pickup is still plugged in on the plastic grill by the front spoiler lip.
  • Replaced blend door arm on the driver's side about 2 years ago with OEM plastic.
  • Replaced blend door arm on passenger's side about 1 year ago with OEM plastic.
  • I get a splash of warm (not hot) air from the farthest right passenger's vent when running a ACC diagnostic. Only lasts for about 3-5 seconds.
What's the thought? Is this a broken connection on the inside of the box like @Andylax35 issue? Blend door FIX-broken inside the heater box

Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Another possibility:-

4th post in this thread:-

Doug

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
A Tech II will give you more information.

When you go to full heat, do you get good airflow?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another possibility:-

4th post in this thread:-

Doug
Thanks Doug. That's a good idea. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Tech II will give you more information.

When you go to full heat, do you get good airflow?
Yes, at full heat there's good airflow. What does good airflow or the opposite, low airflow indicate?

Also, would love to find a low cost solution for Tech II. All I have now is OBD2. Any tips for a low-cost way to get Tech II?

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Yes, at full heat there's good airflow. What does good airflow or the opposite, low airflow indicate?
Heater core can be plugged with debris. On all but full heat, some air bypasses the heater core. (All airflow does go through the A/C evaporator.)

Also, would love to find a low cost solution for Tech II. All I have now is OBD2. Any tips for a low-cost way to get Tech II?
Look in the Tech II forum for possible Tech II local to you.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Check that temp flap motor(s) have gear wheel in place. Usually gear wheel moves out and finally it do not reach flap gear.
DO NOT TAP GEAR BACK, use pliers to push it back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the motors and operation on both sides. Visually it looks like everything is working. All motors are actuating and all arms and levers seems to be doing their thing.

On the passenger’s side both the distribution and temp metal rods are doing their thing and turning the plastic gears and arms. I did not check specifically up high. Is the plastic arm up there just a linkage to the motor or does it also turn something internal?

I tested the airflow again at full fan speed set to High on temp and found that it was less by about 30-40% from normal heat when not set to High.

Also, the Return pipe on the heater core took about 90 seconds longer to heat than the Supply pipe. It got hot, but never quite as hot as the Supply. Is that normal or an indication of a clog?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts