SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 9-5 Aero 2.3T this past summer with 77K miles. Other than the vibration when the car is in drive and at a stop, messed up SID, and broken CD player the car ran good. That was until I drove it , parked it overnight and wouldn't start in the morning. I thought it was the battery; bought a new one still didn't start. I've seen quite a few messages that talked about fuel pump, ECU's, DIC's and others. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on what could possibly causing the car not to start? Could it the starter? and where is the fuel pump located?

Desperately need this car to start. :cry: I love my car.

Vdub

·
Registered
730 Posts
im sure someone will elaborate more but if it is cranking, then its def. not the battery and most likely not starter. could be fuel pump; its in the gas tank, I think you access it through a hole under the rear seats?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I would bet a cookie that it is the DIC, this sounds very common. Callt eh dealer, it is under recall/warranty is most cases.

Installing a new CPS it worth it regardless of the problem. These little buggers have a limited lifespan and are inexpensive.

When twinsaabs.com is back up you can follow the picture guide on how to change a CPS.

Welcome to Saabs. THis sounds simple and typical of Saabs. If you are a little DIY then you can most likely resolve this for little money and sweat; however, if you tow it to the dealer get ready for some stupid money repair bill that people complain about all the time.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
02 Aero 9-5 new owner

The car does not crank when key is turned. In reference to the DIC and recall warranty. Do you know if the recall warranty has any limitations for example if the car has over a certain amount of miles or years the warranty is no good. Will certainly keep you all informed on my progress. Thanks

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Vdub said:
The car does not crank when key is turned. In reference to the DIC and recall warranty. Do you know if the recall warranty has any limitations for example if the car has over a certain amount of miles or years the warranty is no good. Will certainly keep you all informed on my progress. Thanks
Does not crank?

Did you have your oil pressure light come on at all since you bought teh car?

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Crank means errr errr errr errr

Turn over means cha cha vrrooooooom.

What part of MD? I live down in Loudon Country in NoVA. I have a DI cassetter that could work on ur car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
02 9-5 Aero 2.3T still troubleshooting......

no errrr errr, or cha cha vroom just a click when I turn the key. Charles County MD, and I'll try the ground strap first before purchasing CPS. I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
if it doesnt crank check the neutral position sensor at the automatic gearbox, the power connections at the starter motor and the ground connections from the battery to the body and the gearbox. Its not the CPS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

gghh, where is the neutral position sensor located at the automatic gearbox. Can I get to it fairly easy or will I have to remove something? Also can I get to the starter motor without raising the car?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
NPS is lovcated on top of the gearbox. Startermotor access is diffivcult without lifting the car - its on the backside of the engine.

G

·
Since it "clicks" when attempting to start, it doesn't sound like the NPS. It sounds like it is not getting enough current to spin the starter. Keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I agree... check the power wire on the starter. They can work loose sometimes. Tighten it with a wrench and you're good to go (disconnect the battery ground first!!!). You can reach it on the back of the engine through the top right, beside the brake booster... it's a bit of a squeeze, but probably easier than going through the bottom.

If that's not it, I would say neutral position sensor is likely.

Direct Ignition (DIC) or Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) failures are unlikely, as the car would crank but not turn over.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are getting a slight click from the starter sylenoid and the starter doesn't turn over I too would suggest checking the cables and also having the "new" battery bench tested. I have bought more than one new battery that showed 12 volts when tested with an ohmmeter but when load tested had a dead cell from sitting on a shelf.

Have the battery bench tested at your local parts place and if that doesn't show up as the problem migrate onto cables. After that I might suggest the neutral safety switch or perhaps checking to make sure that if you put the car in neutral it doesn't try to start then?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stuck gear shift

Jlthunder - do you think my problem could be a bad alternator?

Robw - check all the fuses that are located at the side of the dash board panel that had to do with ignition or starting the car...they are all good.

PaulGinAZ - my gear shift is stuck, so I can't try putting the car in neutral to start it....any suggestions on how unstuck the gear shift?

G

·
Vdub said:
Jlthunder - do you think my problem could be a bad alternator?
An easy way to check your alternator is to check your voltage on your battery before starting your car. It should be about 12 volts. Start your car. Check the voltage on the battery again. It should go up to about 14 volts. If the voltage doesnt' change, then you have a problem in the charging circut, possible alternator.

A bad alternator will not prevent you from starting the car unless the battery has worn down.

Did you check the ground (earth) wire to the block? Could you tighten it at the block? Are the connections at the battery clean and tight?

G

·
I have the V6 so I'm sure it is different on the 4 cyl.

Just follow the negative (-) wire from the battery until it ends. It should terminate on the block or starter.

Any 4cyl owners want to chime in on this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Vdub said:
PaulGinAZ - my gear shift is stuck, so I can't try putting the car in neutral to start it....any suggestions on how unstuck the gear shift?
If the gearshift will not move after you turn the ignition key to the run position and step on the brake you can take your key and put it in that small oblong hole that sits just above and to the right (I think) of the shift knob.. and while pushing the key in step on the brake and see if it will move then.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts