SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2002 9-3 Viggen convertible with ~70k miles. I got the car last year from the original owner. He says he never had trouble with the top, but I know it can be very expensive to repair and I cross my fingers every time i put the top up or down.

Now that it is getting warm (I live in Maryland), I'm thinking of leaving the top down for a while and not put the mechanism through too many up/down cycles. Any downside to this? Would this stress the mechanism or the fabric top itself in any way? The car is garage-kept so there are no weather or security concerns.

Thanks!
Randy

·
Registered
17,814 Posts
I think it's actually the opposite: You want to keep the rams moving. So put it up and down every day... and some in the Winter on warmer days when it's not too cold to cycle it.

·
Registered
1997 900SE 'vert
132 Posts
Good question...from my experience, if the top stays down, you may get creases/indentations in the fabric where the frame rests on it. Constant working of the top up/down works the fabric in areas where it folds/unfolds, which causes fabric to wear and fray in those spots. However, this wearing of the canvas takes years to become an issue.

For ragtop owners, it's an existential fear of being caught in a rainstorm unable to raise an automatic top...be best to assure yourself that the mechanism works, while knowing how to raise it manually if necessary.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think it's actually the opposite: You want to keep the rams moving.
Ditto ^^^ you want the seals in the rams to keep seeing the fluid so they don't dry out, not to say you can't leave it down for an extended period of time but you want to cycle it. plus it stretches the top back out, I do leave my favorite with the top down for a month or more but also in the garage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting - hadn't thought about the "keep it moving" angle. That makes me more comfortable! Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very interesting. I’ve asked myself the same questions as I ponder that rainy day. If you raise the top to the halfway point, it will the relax back (in my experience) and I’ve always wondered which extreme is the relaxed position: open or closed?

Makes great sense that most things don’t like disuse.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You can also think of the old canvas tops on a Jeep CJ, if you left them off for really long periods of time you had to stretch the crap out of them just to get the snaps to go back on, best to cycle it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2002 9-3 Viggen convertible with ~70k miles. I got the car last year from the original owner. He says he never had trouble with the top, but I know it can be very expensive to repair and I cross my fingers every time i put the top up or down.

Now that it is getting warm (I live in Maryland), I'm thinking of leaving the top down for a while and not put the mechanism through too many up/down cycles. Any downside to this? Would this stress the mechanism or the fabric top itself in any way? The car is garage-kept so there are no weather or security concerns.

Thanks!
Randy
Hey Randy I am in So MD and have a 2006 9.3 arc convertible - 84k. Someone really took care of it. Mine stays in the garage with top up. Think you are ok as long as you put it down dry with no moisture. I use a high end cleaner and protectant ($30 for set) twice a year. If it gets wrinkled when you put it up in the sun it should straighten out. My two cents

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T
6 Posts
As the owner of 2 verts.... 1 is a 07 9-3 the other a 68 GTO.... I can say with certainty....Top Up.... As previously stated, creases and folds will happen with the top compressed in the down position, for both fabric or vinyl tops..... most important thing for a fabric top is proper cleaning and waterproofing.... and never use a pressure washer to clean a fabric top......... Just Saying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts