SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have a 01' 9-3 SE convertible and bought a '01 9-3 Viggen convertible rear deck spoiler wing at a junkyard. I will need to drill holes in my SE trunk lid to mount it. Does anyone have any advice and/or drill template for drilling the holes?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Does anyone have any advice and/or drill template for drilling the holes?
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I was going to make a new thread yesterday, but ran into video upload problems to utube.

Here's the skinny:
Begin by removing the trunk liner.
There are 2 rubber plugs/bumpers on each side of the trunk....the mounting bolts on the ends go right above them (see image of underside of trunk lid).
I found the best distance is 6" from edge of trunk to front edge of spoiler (see thumbnail).
The center bolt hole is just about 1/2" from edge of trunk (see image w/caliper).
Drill this hole first (use center punch to make dimple first).
Then, put masking tape about where other holes will go, and place the spoiler center bolt in the hole, line the spoiler up where you want it (equal dist. from edge of trunk lid) and lean on the spoiler to mark the tape. Center punch these locations and drill the holes.
To allow some play I made the holes a little oversized.
Use a magnet on your socket to start the threads on the nuts. If you drop the nuts they'll fall into the trunk frame.
I used silicone caulking on the pedestals to seal in place.

That's about it!

See image of my car all done.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! This is great! Will give it a try.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I was going to make a new thread yesterday, but ran into video upload problems to utube.

Here's the skinny:
Begin by removing the trunk liner.
There are 2 rubber plugs/bumpers on each side of the trunk....the mounting bolts on the ends go right above them (see image of underside of trunk lid).
I found the best distance is 6" from edge of trunk to front edge of spoiler (see thumbnail).
The center bolt hole is just about 1/2" from edge of trunk (see image w/caliper).
Drill this hole first (use center punch to make dimple first).
Then, put masking tape about where other holes will go, and place the spoiler center bolt in the hole, line the spoiler up where you want it (equal dist. from edge of trunk lid) and lean on the spoiler to mark the tape. Center punch these locations and drill the holes.
To allow some play I made the holes a little oversized.
Use a magnet on your socket to start the threads on the nuts. If you drop the nuts they'll fall into the trunk frame.
I used silicone caulking on the pedestals to seal in place.

That's about it!

See image of my car all done.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention....when you start to drill, you're going to swallow your heart :suprised;...or at least I did. Once you make the first mark there's no going back! It took 2 or 3 hrs to mount it. Most of that was fumbling around trying to figure out how to do it. The liner, btw, is held w/9 (I think that's the number) plastic clips that turn 90 degrees. Next, remove the plastic handle on the emergency trunk release....pry the angle piece on the end of the cable and twist it. It sort of snaps/twists in place. Then, remove the plastic closing handle (2 torx bolts). From there it's just messing with the spoiler. Oh, also, the 6" measurement leaves the front edge of the spoiler almost half way on the radio antenna base, and at the rear edge of the OnStar antenna.

Good luck! I like the look now, and you can lift the trunk lid by the spoiler. Also, I find less exhaust backwash into the car when the top is down. Sometimes I'd get a whiff of exhaust, but it's almost nil now.

If I can find a way around my YouTube upload issue I'll post it on SC. I made the vid. in PhotoStory, which I guess isn't compatible with YT. :cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts