SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01' viggen that my dad and I are going to use a 06 9-5 aero 260hp 258 lb/ft tq engine in. The car is going to be used for track days only. We're not sure whether to use the 9-5 turbo or viggen. And if tuning with the BSR to use the 9-3 ECU or 9-5, Your imput would help. Also anyone know where to get quality parts for good prices?

Thank You.

·
Registered
956 Posts
evolve23 said:
I have a 01' viggen that my dad and I are going to use a 06 9-5 aero 260hp 258 lb/ft tq engine in. The car is going to be used for track days only. We're not sure whether to use the 9-5 turbo or viggen. And if tuning with the BSR to use the 9-3 ECU or 9-5, Your imput would help. Also anyone know where to get quality parts for good prices?

Thank You.
wait, you have a viggen and your takin the motor which is fine in there out to put in a newer 9-5 aero? i say keep the viggen in and start doing some modding to that motor. i say without a doubt stay with the viggen motor!!!!!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's the ECU tune that gives the extra HP, nothing to do with the engine. So unless your viggen's engine is blown up I would just keep that engine in there. However depending on the power that you want out of the car you might want to at least throw new/better pistons in there be it the viggen's motor or the 9-5's motor. The pistons are known to be weak however that also depends on the power you want out of the car. 300+whp many state you need new pistons..... Actually, some beleive you might be better off throwing in the older B234 motor :)

With the ECU, you can use a base 9-3 ECU or whatever extra T7 ECU that is laying around. Any T7 ECU can be programmed to work on any T7 car, that's how they tune them unless you request for your original ECU to be used.

The biggest problem with these cars especially when driven hard is how weak/flexy the chassis is. As a instructor once told me "technically, you have the worst handling car out here today, FWD... tall... narrow etc." The cars do perform really well but they definantly have some pretty strong limitations. I have taken my viggen to a few schools & it is definantly fun to have out at a track, I am just getting tired of FWD :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
viggen motor has 120k+ miles on it while the 07 has only 6k. And about fwd on the track. you are completely right and thats the reason why i tried to talk my dad into getting an evo but hes a saab nut so...

·
Registered
803 Posts
At 152,000 miles, my engine is perfectly happy bouncing off the 6200 something fuel cut all day with 20 something pounds of boost. Yeah, the B235R engine is a little weaker, but it'll do just fine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
my aero has 149k and hits peak power at 6400rpm... and regulary does! No problems with the engine... suspension is another thing at the moment tho, summink broke today!!!! :evil:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sleet, we're putting the HOT 9-5 AERO engine in the viggen which has 260hp over the viggens 230 and 258 torque as does the viggen + it only has 8,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
There is no difference at all between the engines. They are the same exact engine. The only difference is the computer.
The engine in the Viggen already is FINE, it's a big waste of time to put the same exact engine into the car.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
You're gonna have a big job on your hands... i would talk to a really good saab mechanic and ask him what they think. Do you plan on road racing or drag racing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cliche, there is a 30hp difference between the engine (it would be nice if you read) and this is a project my dad and I are willing to tackle. Lowbudgethero, I have already contacted Nick from genuinesaab about this and the car will be used for road racing.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Looks like you are dead set on doing the engine swap so I will not comment. (Even though I think I could save you money and time.) Your question regarding the turbo I am sure Nick @ GS would have told you this as well. The 06 9-5 had a different housing and intake pipe that helps net that extra bump of power. So I would say the choice is you have no choice use the 06 turbo setup.

Reference Source:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_60&products_id=471

Regarding the ECU. I would as Nick @ GS if the stock 9-5 ECU can be plopped in place of the Viggen ECU. I would avoid using the BSR tune. People tend to have air/fuel ratio issues with them. Especailly if you deceide to use an aftermarket downpipe. I would go with another ECU tuner. (eg. Nordic, SQR, or Maptun.)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
If its going to be a race only car, then your going to need more than one engine anyways. Soooooo, if I was you I would build them both up. Otherwise I don't think you will make it too far. My friends track car has two spare motors.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
stamonkey said:
If its going to be a race only car, then your going to need more than one engine anyways. Soooooo, if I was you I would build them both up. Otherwise I don't think you will make it too far. My friends track car has two spare motors.
Thats my point. I would take the stock 06 turbo setup and 9-5 ECU (if compatible) and slap it on the current motor/car. You get all the HP benifits w/o all the hassle. You get to drive and learn tracking the car sooner this way, and have the 9-5 long block waiting in the wings incase the current one blows-up.

Just thought I would give some free advise.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
it would be easier/smarter to just get the 06 cobra pipe, and remap to a nordic software and not swap motors until you blow it.

or go to ecuproject and learn how to load the 06 aero file on your own ecu.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
evolve23 said:
cliche, there is a 30hp difference between the engine (it would be nice if you read)
So you want to go to all the hassle/time etc of doing a major engine swop for just that 30hp, when you can get that extra 30+hp on the existing Viggen engine by just doing a 15min ECU swop........that's so funny:lol: :lol:

Darwin award.......:roll:

·
Registered
772 Posts
& FWIW it's not actually a 30HP difference. My viggen dynoed at 213 whp & 268 wtq which is around 250 crank HP & around 300 wtq. I have seen other viggens in the 230 whp area & 295+ wtq in stock form. Every stock 9-5 area I have seen puts numbers down in that area :)

Instead of throwing the bone stock 9-5 motor in there I would simply throw new pistons in the motor to eliminate the biggest weak spot.

& like people stated consider some of the other tuners.....

what track-s do you plan on attending?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts