SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
They're a direct fit, but you'll have to run wires for power if you're going from manual seats to electric ones.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Convertibles that came with a power drivers seat also have the wiring on the passenger side (you just need to add the fuse). If the car came with a manual seat on the drivers (and passenger) side then you will have to run one main power wire each side, but the all the other wires will be there.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did actually take the seats out recently to power wash the carpet and there was indeed a harness connected to the passenger seat. Wasn't entirely sure what it was for but that makes sense

I guess I assumed the passenger seat on the '01 (convertible) was also a manual like mine and that was just standard for there to be power driver and manual passenger on the 9-3 or something

So that means I can take the seats off the '01 and put them in my car no trouble, just add a fuse, and I've got power seats on (now) both sides (previously, just the driver)?

Or is the passenger seat on the '01 going to be manual, and to get power function out of it I would need to find a power seat and it would simply plug in and work after adding the fuse?

Either way, I'm going to get the seats tomorrow. I don't really care about the manual part of the passenger, I just wanted better looking seats

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Even the manual seats will have wiring to them (for the seat belt sensor, air bag and heated seats if equipped). An 01 SE should have dual power seats (with drivers memory) in the US. IME experience you should just have to bolt both seats in, connect up the connector and add a fuse for the passenger side.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I put in the new seats today, and for some reason the driver seat won't move. It gets power to the heated seats and seatbelt, but it won't move? Anyone know why that is?

Also, just for the info, the passenger seat in the '01 SE was a manual. No upgrade there. I'm not bothered though, i wasn't expecting it and they look great

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The multi-connector has pins/terminals appropriate to what systems the car was built with. My 2002 was not pre-wired for seat motors or heat, and (from several threads over the years on UKSaabs), some cars didn’t have these options but did have the wiring, some had seat heat wiring including the sockets behind the seat heat switch positions, and some had seat motor wiring.

I added a set of 2000 motorised seats to my 2002, got the wiring diagram, and added every wire that was missing. This included adding new pins in the multi-connectors, and the corresponding female terminals. There was, from memory, a wire running from one seat to the other, as there was a control relay under the passenger seat to energise the whole system.

There was also a connection to the iBus to enable the aural tone when using the memory position setting.

Others have got both seats working with much simpler provision of simply a +ve to each seat, but I wanted full original functionality. E.g live motors when the door is opened, with the key not in etc.

I’m no electrician! The WIS diagrams give the pin position numbers for all the connectors. I butchered some spare connectors to obtain extra pins/terminals.

Doug

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man I definitely don't feel like re-wiring stuff

If both cars had power seats I'm confused as to why it wouldn't work or if the pin would be in a different place, but I'll go check it out soon, I put everything together in a hurry

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you put fuse to dash fuse box?
I didn't need to because the driver's seat always had power/fuse

Turns out it was just one of those small connectors underneath the seat that got disconnected when I was swapping the seats over. All good now. Thanks everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts