SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of help please, but please read the info provided so we dont run around in circles.

2001 Saab 9-3 Turbo 90K Automatic

1.) Drove home and car died on me at the driveway while pulling in.
2.) Car would crank but not start.
3.) Let car cool down and car ran but barely, pulled it into garage
4.) When car is completely cool it runs well
5.) When car warms up and I put it in drive it putters and dies.
6.) Sometimes when warm it will run but as soon as I go to Drive or press the gas it dies.

I have

1.) Checked for vacume leaks and replaced crankcase hose and PCV which was leaking.
2) Cleaned Mass airflow sensor seemed to run better when cold but didnt help once hot.
3.) Have not checked 02 sensors or TPS yet.

I have not had the chance to tow it to a mechanic to pull codes but that will be my last resort. (trying to keep a grand in my pocket).

Any ideas to help troubleshoot the problem would be appreciated. (Especially if its something easy to test).

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Sounds like bad CPS (Crank Position Sensor)
Measure the resistance and see how much it is.
or a bad TB (Throttle Body) to me.
You have a T7 engine equipped car. The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is now integrated with the TB.

As a test read the 11th posting by Earthworm and energize fuse32 to bypass the CPS as a test.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1028616#post1028616

-- Also, did the car have a new DIC (Direct Ignition Cassette) under the recall?

-- Could also be a bad fuel pump as they tend to go at around 100K. Test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

-- Is this the first manifestation of a problem or has it been lingering for a while now? If it was lingering test the TB.

--Did you just fill the car with gas when this happened? If so, check the Evap Valve by disconnecting it. If the valve is bad deplugging it will make the car run snmooth again.

-- Since the car has around 90K, I bet it's the TB they all tend to die at around that mileage.

Take the car to auto zone they would read the codes for free usually.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestions thanks very much.

Just an update I found another vacume leak and its running almost perfect.
Im going to let it sit overnight and see what happens in the morning.

I was able to get it to full operating temperature without any problems and drove it around the block.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I discovered the vacume leak and cleaned the mass air flow sensor it seems to have gotten significantly better.

(ANSWERS)

- Also, did the car have a new DIC (Direct Ignition Cassette) under the recall?
(CHECKING ON THAT)
-- Could also be a bad fuel pump as they tend to go at around 100K. Test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. (MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA)

-- Is this the first manifestation of a problem or has it been lingering for a while now? If it was lingering test the TB. (FIRST TIME)

--Did you just fill the car with gas when this happened? If so, check the Evap Valve by disconnecting it. If the valve is bad deplugging it will make the car run snmooth again. (CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE THIS IS) (DID NOT FILL UP BEFORE IT HAPPENED)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts