SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope some of you could help me out here. front end shimmy's while driving, especially between 35-45 mph. wheels have been checked for balance and new tires have been put on. took the car to the mechanic (whom i do trust ) to replace the c.v. joints and fron tstruts. they said it is a bent front axle.......hmmm.

you would think that someone driving the car would know or remember if they hit something hard enough to bend an axle, right ? without the risk of sounding like an idiot, but i'll ask anyway, is there anything "funky" regarding the 2001 saab 93 that would cause this ?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Was an alignment ever done along with some of the other work? I ask because normally a mechanic would notice something like a bent axle while doing a front-end alignment... :confused:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Miles ?

Original owner ?
Right you are, if you hit something hard enough, fast enough, you would remember it..
There should be some proof , a scrape or impact mark on the axle, if this had happened...and there would be other chassis damage as well..
IMO, there is nothing funky or quirky about any Saab...There is a problem with "cheapness" however, this affects many items..Every single thing that we buy is made no better than necessary....in the opinion of that manufacturer... I feel that many components could be built better and stronger - but, as I think about mine and my daughter's Saabs, they do seem to be well build in most aspects, but this means little, IMO.

And , if we are going to replace the CV joints ,,, WHY ? , that assembly comes with its own axles anyway....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
earthworm: my sister-in-law bought the car used in wisconsin about 3 years abo, then moved to colorado then connecticut and now has 85k miles. i am not a mechanic, but do work on my own cars. however, i cannot replace c.v. joints as i do not have those tools. i tried looking for "trauma" type evidence and didn't see anything that would indicate the car striking something.

she has had the car in several times to the dealership that sold her the car for the shimmy. i will look at those work orders this weekend, to see what they "repaired". the dealership replaced the usual, bushings and tie rod ends. and yes pmi, alignments have been done.

the c.v. joints needed to be replaced b/c of fluid leaking and the typical noise and clunk when turning to the left. fluid was also leaking from the front struts and rear shocks.

normal maintenance items that need to be replaced is expected. however, if the dealership in wisconsin knew of this issue "bent axle" and kept on aligning the car along with bushing replacements, wouldn't she have a possible "lemon law" case ? remember, i am a third party and don't have the whole story yet.

·
Registered
447 Posts
mpeatc5 said:
earthworm: my sister-in-law bought the car used in wisconsin about 3 years abo, then moved to colorado then connecticut and now has 85k miles. i am not a mechanic, but do work on my own cars. however, i cannot replace c.v. joints as i do not have those tools. i tried looking for "trauma" type evidence and didn't see anything that would indicate the car striking something.

she has had the car in several times to the dealership that sold her the car for the shimmy. i will look at those work orders this weekend, to see what they "repaired". the dealership replaced the usual, bushings and tie rod ends. and yes pmi, alignments have been done.

the c.v. joints needed to be replaced b/c of fluid leaking and the typical noise and clunk when turning to the left. fluid was also leaking from the front struts and rear shocks.

normal maintenance items that need to be replaced is expected. however, if the dealership in wisconsin knew of this issue "bent axle" and kept on aligning the car along with bushing replacements, wouldn't she have a possible "lemon law" case ? remember, i am a third party and don't have the whole story yet.
If the shimmy is only under acceleration then I would suspect the driver for the inner cv joint.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for the fast replies.

fphillips, would you recommend replacing only the inner drive or since you're already in there, replace the whole joint ?

·
Registered
447 Posts
mpeatc5 said:
thanks guys for the fast replies.

fphillips, would you recommend replacing only the inner drive or since you're already in there, replace the whole joint ?
I do all my own work on cars and do not believe in changing parts just because I am in there unless there is something wrong with them. I would remove the axles and see if there was noticeable wear on either of the inner drivers. I would also inspect the tripod joint for any signs of wear or lack of lubrication. The inner driver (companion flange) is expensive and I would only replace if needed, not on a whim.

If the axle is bent then it should be possible to measure the runout.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
mpeatc5 said:
aah, thank you for the information. as i was searching, i came across a website which you guys are probably very familiar with.

what do you think of "thesaabsite.com" in the c.v.joint area, they list a kit for the "known vibrational issues" ?

http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93cvs.htm
IMO, this is a good site, but their prices seem to be dealer level and more....

I do know that the CV joint boots must be inspected at each true seasonal service . If cracks are found( no leaks), but cracks, the boot life is at its effective end , the boot must be changed; if not, expect to change the entire joint and the boot.
Ask how I know this..
True leaks at any location or part demand a repair; seepages will give the owner more time to act.
Weepages in many cases are normal - or a precursor to the real thing..
PMI is correct, of course, a good alignment mechanic would detect a damaged bent axle, even if it has nothing to do with the alignment itself.
For some reason, maybe the wheel/tire size, the "normal" shimmy occurs around 50 to 60 mph..
So, something much smaller ( a joint, i.e.) would vibrate at a different speed..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how long should replacing the inner driver take ? what do you think a mechanic might bill for this job ?

thanks again for all you help guys.

mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
earthworm: i believe she kept taking the car back to the dealership where she bought it and they kept aligning the car. she ended up moving and has lived with the shimmy. now she is in ct and i have driven the car, i couldn't believe she's been driving the car like this, anyway, whole other topic..........

i recommended a mechanic i do have a little faith in for another type of service and that's when they said it was a possible bent axle, as they didn't take anything apart, just drove it. so, she made another appointment for next week. i just wanted to be armed with some knowledge, just in case they try to yank her chain with this problem. sounds like they could be on track though.

thanks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
mpeatc5 said:
earthworm: i believe she kept taking the car back to the dealership where she bought it and they kept aligning the car. she ended up moving and has lived with the shimmy. now she is in ct and i have driven the car, i couldn't believe she's been driving the car like this, anyway, whole other topic..........

i recommended a mechanic i do have a little faith in for another type of service and that's when they said it was a possible bent axle, as they didn't take anything apart, just drove it. so, she made another appointment for next week. i just wanted to be armed with some knowledge, just in case they try to yank her chain with this problem. sounds like they could be on track though.

thanks.
If it were mine and I had to take it to a garage, it would be to an independent that has lots of Saab experience. Unless you are very lucky, a non-Saab independent will end up costing a lot of money for him to "learn" about the vibration problem.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
mpeatc5 said:
I have no idea what the legal implications are, sorry.

If a dealer or any large shop did an alignment, it is close to impossible that they would not have noticed the effect of a bent axle, IMO. For that reason alone, it seems unlikely. A dealer might be able to send you the service history. I believe there is only a nominal charge for that.

The history of the suspension is interesting, CV joints, and both sets of struts and shocks on a car which had less than 85K miles at the time (!) That suggests driving on really bad roads, or something else odd going on. I have gone 154K miles w. the same CV joints, and this year was the first time the front end actually needed an alignment (it was checked and in spec before).

Fphillips seems to have a likely explanation. If not that, I would take a close look at the top of the strut towers, and the bearings (not wheel bearings, I mean). That is a weak spot on our cars, and a car that went through struts and CV joints for whatever reason, would have seen a lot of wear on those. You don't need any special tools, although a torque wrench helps, to reassemble the nuts to the proper torque, if you decide to do it yourself.

See pic in Frank's post, here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1112190#post1112190

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so if the strut tower bearing was loose, damaged in anyway, it would / could cause the vibration issues ? so, a cv joint that needs replacing can have the same symptoms as a strut tower bearing ?

interesting stuff here.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
mpeatc5 said:
so if the strut tower bearing was loose, damaged in anyway, it would / could cause the vibration issues ?A good mechanic would have to repair this - even if it has nothing to do with the vibration; depending on how bad it is, it could be a cause of the vibration... so, a cv joint that needs replacing can have the same symptoms as a strut tower bearing ? No-one said this....
interesting stuff here.
Of course, a CV joint that is noisy and "bootless" should be replaced, but, I believe that one can re-pack and reboot the joint and drive it a long time - until the noise becomes worse. Unless the joint is in absolutely horrible condition, there will be no vibrations..

What disgusts me is that there are some out there who take advantage of a girl or a woman... in this case, the dealer.... A mindless alighment, without an inspection will never solve anything....

BTW, few dealers do alignment/ balance/tires .. the customer should go directly to the shop that does this work..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
mpeatc5 said:
a cv joint that needs replacing can have the same symptoms as a strut tower bearing ?
Poor choice of words on my part. The end result of something being loose in the suspension, like a strut tower bearing, a bushing, a bent tie rod etc., can be similar.

Premature wear on tires, CV joints, struts, and so on. I think something went amiss before the struts and CV joints went out, I just can't imagine those were worn in normal driving, on paved roads, before 80K miles.

Not taking anything away from your sister-in-law, but I would guess that I drove more agressively than the average person when the car had under 100K, and those parts are still all original on my car.

Someone on the performance board may need shocks, struts, CV joints and axels at 100K. No surprise there, when you turn a Saab into a race car, those parts are a disposable accessory of your hobby... :cheesy: Average person with a Saab as their DD? No. Something is wrong with that, and mechanics are throwing parts at the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PMI, my sister-in-law emailed me the work that was done by the dealership, here it is:

"so far they've replaced the pivot bolts, cradle bolts, rear/trans mount dampner, strut cartridges,
springs and wheel bearings, swivel members, warped rotors, new brakes, front
alignment, and fixed
wheels/rims."

the dealership did throw parts at the car, fortunately for her, the car was repaired under warranty. but, they never did fix the problem.

no offense taken about my sister-in-law's driving habits. i doubt she is an aggressive driver that would do this type of damage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what is another name for trunion arm ? is it stanchion or control arm ? like i've said b/f i am not a mechanic, so i am not familiar with the different names for parts, but i am mechanically inclined enough for a DIY on some parts.

the update with my sister-in-laws 9-3 is a broken trunion arm. front end shimmy is gone and she is happy. however, as suspected, the mechanics suspected the car was in an accident b/f she bought it in wisconsin. wow ! she has learned a huge lesson from all of this. i just glad that she was able to finally fix the shimmy after 3 years.

thanks guys for all the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts