SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok so I shot some vids of car running. wwhen cold started (stupidly didn't record this) oil smoke out of exhaust. As it warms up not so bad. Also cold start, car sounds rough or hoarse? Maybe a ticking sound near drive belt, but that ticking goes away after warm up. I cleared check engine lights. Didnt come back on but couldnt drive it far due to not registered.

This are recorded after it warmed up. Let me know If it sounds ok.. may be hard to hear.
Engine running under
Engine running near belts
Engine near belts again
Engine sound from inside

·
Registered
813 Posts
100% with bob. They must have driven the crap out of this with bad seals. If you can get it for 3 and stay under its value with part pricing...
The 02 I bought I was able to get for $500. It had a real bad knock when I had it on a lift. I thought I was screwed. Oil change and it was gone.
Ultimately I'd say what's it going to be worth to you. If you can get it cheap enough and keep cost under the value of a car then I would say it would be worth it if you don't have a problem with doing a lot of work yourself. Then it might be worth it if it's going to clean up well.. those cats aren't cheap though. They're huge on the v6.
Maybe an I4 is in your future.. or this.. up to you. Doesn't sound awful but there's a slight knock that may or may not go away with an oil change. Definitely going to be a project though.

·
Registered
813 Posts
No way, I'd def make an argument against that. GM is known for their engines and engine reliability. Transmissions from 1996-2010 are a different story.

When I was with Chevy I can honestly say out of proably around 5 thousand cars we serviced within a year I can count engine repair or replacements on 1 hand. One that stays with me was a 15" Silverado under 7k miles that came in with a misfire on one cylinder.
Ran all kinds of testing, everything checked out so the heads came off. The problem wound up being a hole the size of a pen tip that was maybe 1/8th of an inch deep in the cylinder bore... that's how sensitive these modern GM engines are. Customer got a new engine because GM wanted the entire engine back for testing and research. Not an easy job to get a 5.3 out of a Silverado because its installed before the front supports are welded in.

Anyway, B308 V6 is a solid engine. It's just cousins went out of production a few years ago...

·
Registered
'04 9-5 Aero Wgn, '01 9-5 Aero, '90 C900
15 Posts
Glad you ended up going back for it! It would be a shame to let a nice body/interior get scrapped.
This should make a cool project! I agree to focus on the engine/DTC codes first; get it running code-free, then move on to other maintenance like the belts, fluids, etc., then deal with the suspension.

You may be able to find some parts at a local pull-a-part as well to stay within budget. If you can find a V6 car that was hit, you know that it was running up to the time of impact, and the coils, turbo, etc are likely to be better than what you have.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree. Not a reliable engine nor is a particularly well designed on either.
Have seen many come in for service at a friend of mines Saab shop and there are issues that are problematic.
This engine is a result of GM needing to put their thumb print on Saab.
Only good , reliable GM engine has been their V-8's.

·
Registered
572 Posts
No way, I'd def make an argument against that. GM is known for their engines and engine reliability. Transmissions from 1996-2010 are a different story.

When I was with Chevy I can honestly say out of proably around 5 thousand cars we serviced within a year I can count engine repair or replacements on 1 hand. One that stays with me was a 15" Silverado under 7k miles that came in with a misfire on one cylinder.
Ran all kinds of testing, everything checked out so the heads came off. The problem wound up being a hole the size of a pen tip that was maybe 1/8th of an inch deep in the cylinder bore... that's how sensitive these modern GM engines are. Customer got a new engine because GM wanted the entire engine back for testing and research. Not an easy job to get a 5.3 out of a Silverado because its installed before the front supports are welded in.

Anyway, B308 V6 is a solid engine. It's just cousins went out of production a few years ago...
Interesting information. I am just reacting to the stories I have read on Saab forums to the V6 in the 9-5s leaking oil/water coolers turning the oil to oil water, and the cost and frequency of timing belt replacements and other problems......not my kind of engine.

I have owned and driven Saabs for 61 years and to me being a real Saab means have a Saab engine whether a 3 cyl 2 stroke or a 4 cylinder Saab engine. That is all i have owned and driven. I did drive a 1998 6 cylinder stick for a week, it was a Saab test car 9-5 with a 5 speed stick. I did like it, but I did not have to live with it......just put gas in it for the short time I had it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
With all due respect to GM's legacy, they ruined Saab.
They should not have been bailed out years ago by the Feds.

·
Registered
308 Posts
With all due respect to GM's legacy, they ruined Saab.
They should not have been bailed out years ago by the Feds.
Totally agree on this one. Corporate welfare.

I wrote earlier in this thread that the V6 was unloved. Apparently there is hatred for it out there.

The reason for the engine's offering was SAAB North America was receiving pressure over only offering a 4 cylinder, no matter how good as the only engine option in an upscale car. The V6 was introduced in the 9000 as a non-turbo and carried over into the 9-5 in the SE and Arc. The perception was that in the price range the cars commanded, a V6 was a must for its smoothness and refinement over a 4 and competitors offered six cylinder engines. Did SAAB miss the mark? Perhaps. It's not the best V6 ever, though certainly not the worst.

A 60K mile timing belt interval isn't that bad. Today's Gates and ContiTech timing sets are good for 90K miles.

Yes the oil coolers will fail with time as with anything. May be statistically relevant, may not be, though my 02 V6's cooler is original and the service history reveals consistent coolant changes. A liquid to liquid oil cooler offers the benefit of warming the oil when the engine is cold for faster warm-up over a liquid to air version.

The cat, if truly bad (I'd have a look at the downstream O2 sensor to see if that's past its usable life) then an aftermarket replacement can be easily found and spliced into the exhaust. Garrett turbos are much shorter lived than the Mitsu TD-04 turbo, so address its seals and the ignition before replacing the convertor.

@hamadykn - If you are looking in particular for a wagon and can obtain it for $300 (or even less as scrap metal is way down right now) then have a go. It could be a great car. Not everyone will have a good experience with the V6 as have I, though many have had sludged-up 4-cylinders with far worse stories to tell.

Oh, and FWIW, I got my V6 in 2012 for $600 as it wouldn't start. I was in the right place by chance, actually. One CPS later and I was off.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts