SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a new to me 01 9-3 2L turbo. While giving it a once over, noticed a little oil sitting in a recessed hole toward the top driver side of the engine. In comparing my engine bay with some photos on google, it looks like I am missing a piece and they filled the hole with some sealant? What is the silver piece circled in blue and do I need to source another one or is this some mod for these cars?

Thanks a lot, looked at a bunch of diagrams and forum posts with no luck. Guessing its a mix of weekend hangover and never worked on a Saab before.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
If there was a distributor, it would go there. Last Saabs with distributors in North America would have been 1998 900S with the 2.3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's where the brake vacuum pump goes. I believe only the automatic transmission models have it.
That is correct. After seeing your post, I was able to do a little more digging and it is only on the Auto's. I guess those plugs leaking is not that uncommon which explains why the prior owner filled it with a bead some some silicon sealant.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Yeah... People don't realize it's a $5 plug that takes 10 minutes to replace and do dumb bandaids instead.

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
984 Posts
I think GS sells a machined plug for that if you want some engine bling.

·
Registered
19,043 Posts
I did a post here with detailed instructions on replacing that plug. If you use the advanced search with my name and the words plug and hammer it should show up. If I get a chance later when I'm on my computer I'll post a link to it. Easy to do and fairly regular maintenance on these cars every few years

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
984 Posts
.... Bob, Hammer and Plug -
sounds like the winning team name taking first prize at the plumbers trivia night drinking convention.

Or I could be wrong... :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought a new to me 01 9-3 2L turbo. While giving it a once over, noticed a little oil sitting in a recessed hole toward the top driver side of the engine. In comparing my engine bay with some photos on google, it looks like I am missing a piece and they filled the hole with some sealant? What is the silver piece circled in blue and do I need to source another one or is this some mod for these cars?

Thanks a lot, looked at a bunch of diagrams and forum posts with no luck. Guessing its a mix of weekend hangover and never worked on a Saab before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is where the distributor mounted in earlier model years with that engine. The seals/o ring around the hole plug fail and re-sealing it with a silicone bead solves the slight oil seelate. You could pull out the ignition cassette and valve cover and replace the plug/cap o ring but silicone is faster and easier. And avoids new gaskets etc.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
I wish they made a version of that for T5 cars. I'm still not sure how the 1994 900 turbo's metal plug was held in place. I've yet to see one of those in the flesh.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
I have one somewhere... it's very similar to what GS cooked up... although two pieces, a plug and a bracket.

·
Registered
42 Posts

THat's a brake vaccum pump...only automatics have it..manuals have a direct hose to the manifold. I have two cars 01, one AUT and other is manual thats why I know!, but you can confirm on SAAB EPC. Early this year I worked on a SAAB 95 2006 AUT - that some stupid removed the Brake Vaccum pump inside parts and sealed off everything, the car had no brakes as a result of that stupidity.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wish they made a version of that for T5 cars. I'm still not sure how the 1994 900 turbo's metal plug was held in place. I've yet to see one of those in the flesh.
Were they only 1994? I have one but it was out of a 1995, maybe it had a swap at some point that I wasn't aware of 🤔

1 - 19 of 19 Posts