SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am a new owner of a 2001 9-3 convertible that leaks a little in heavy rain. I haven't ever had a convertible before, and I expect a little leakage from a ten year old top. But I wonder how much is a sign that something is wrong.

I just came back from driving back from a weekend away all day through heavy rain. The top is really saturated, and I was kicking myself that I didn't waterproof it yet with the Renovo products. I will do that soon.

However, I've noticed something that is odd to me. The leakage seems like it comes from above the rear window, and drips around the rear speaker area. Also once in a while some rain drips in from the driver and passenger windows.

Also, I've noticed as I've tried to look above the headliner material, that there are like "velcro" tabs that don't seem to be holding on to anything. So, perhaps someone has taken the top off before?

Anyways, I'm having some trouble finding threads that deal with 9-3 convertible top leaks. Can someone point me in the right direction for information for this? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do to see if I can improve the leaks?

thanks in advance.
Very happy with the vert otherwise. love the car.

mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted this original thread a few years ago. I wound up doing two things.

First I got a bunch of those moisture absorbing sillica gel beads off of the internet and I spread them all around the floor of the vert. And I drove around like that for a week. I was worried about mold and stuff. But I think that was unfounded. The car dried up pretty nicely.

Then I used RENOVO waterproofer on the top itself. Other stuff would probably work just as well.

Amazon.com: Renovo Ultra Proofer - 500ml: Automotive.

And I have been through a bunch of rainstorms and such often since then, and I never ever had anything come into the car. I've reapplied the waterproofing stuff about once a year.

Of course, when I originally posted this, the vert was left outside in what turned out to be a mini-hurricane in the city and rain that lasted for a long weekend while I was away. I came back and the interior was soaked.

It has spent days in the rain since. And no problems.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a little drippy so the way I do it is put it in a spray bottle and then work it in with a brush. So I guess both.
It's really easy to drip off the top so it's like just a few squirts and then work it in. Repeat. Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.