SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned VWs,BMWs,and Audis since I turned 16 [28 now]. Although 8 years or so ago my wife [then girlfriend] had an 86 900 turbo. We loved the car but wen to many problems arose we gave the car to my father.

YADA YADA YADA about a month ago while my mother in law was picking up her 05 9-3 I fell in love with an 02 black on beige 5spd SE. I put wheels on it and just ordered MP's stage 1 suspension upgrade.

Now I will try and make a long story short. My wife drives an 01 pearl rave green 1.8t gti with 75k miles on it. We have a baby on the way and decided she should have a 4 door as well as well as something with a nice warranty [the 9-3 is saab certified]. She has fell in love with my car and wants it.

Now here is what I am looking at.

00 silver on black Viggen. 75k miles asking price just under 12k. 2 sets of rims and tires snow/summer. Always dealer serviced. I know or atleast I think the rear seats in a viggen are a bit different then the seats in a normal 9-3 is this true?? If so do baby seats work well in the back seat? Anyone have that experience?

As I said all maintenance has been done as well as the "Casset" has just been replaced. I will have the car checked out by my mechanic, but is there anything else a Viggen with those miles should be checked out for? Anything I should be worried about?

Sorry for the long winded story:cheesy:

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
MG-TD should chime in, he has the same car (5dr) at least.

I don't know about the child seat, but make sure it had the ECU replaced under recall.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Golden rule with the child seats and potential cars.

Take an extended test drive, tell the vendor your concern [child seat compatibility] then go to your seat vendor and test them, the usual stuff - fitment [ease of] check the saftey record of the seat [the car is in the stratosphere of occupant safety anyway so no worries there] neither party will mind your concerns and should be willing to accomodate you.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
MY00 viggen has very short seat belts in the back and you'll have a touch time getting a baby seat in the back, mean those "baskets" for 0-1 year kids.

For older kids 1-3y a seat facing backwards will fit but then your front passanger seat is pretty much useless due to small leg room in the rear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am about 5'6 and the wife 5'5 so I think leg room will be ok. I just want to be sure someone has safely used a seat. Maybe the brand name?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
We're missing one critical bit of info here: 3-door or 5-door?

Putting a car seat in and out of a 3-door is not recommended, unless you really want a close long-term relationship with your chiropractor. Most brands will fit in the rear seat, and ALL will be rear facing for the first year -- or 20 pounds, whichever comes first.

Both our Saabs are 5-door for that reason. My first Saab was a 3-door C900T and my lumbar region still hasn't gotten over the strain!

Search for brands (Consumer Reports, Parents magazine, etc), but be sure to get one with a detachable base that you can leave in the car.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
well I have an Eddie Bauer seat and stroller set that works well in the back of my 94. I don't have exactly the same seats as you, but the carrier has the strap in base that stays in the car and the carrier locks in and out of it. If you go that way, you can spend some time making it right, and mine has an adjustable base so you can make sure it is level.

Also, my 94 doesent have locking belts, (some cars if you pull the belt all the way out, once it retracts a little, it will not unwind again untill fully retracted). Those are the best belts, but you can easily overcome that by using the little clip that comes with the seat to lock the belt.

Tboy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I went to test drive the car, and I talked to the husband and wife for quit awhile. The only reason they are getting rid of the car is because it can only hold 2 baby seats not 3:cheesy: I have had about 15 different cars and have never seen someone so attached to their car as she was. I saw every reciept for the car since new all dealer service. It comes with a set of summer wheels and tires as well as snow wheels and tires. Both aftermarket wheels no soft Viggens. It turns out I knew the wife from my job so that was interesting.

Any way the husband tossed me the keys and my wife and I took the car for a 20 to 25 minute drive pulled over in a Applebees parking lot so I could go over the car. Took it back and made a deal.

So now my wife takes my 02 9-3 and I take the Viggen we are now a SAAB family:D The Viggen was everything my 9-3 is but better [thing pulls like an animal]. As I said with ALL the records and being the car is super clean with 75k on it I feel pretty good about the 11,500 I spent.

I went from a all VW driveway down to 2 SAABS and my old 82 diesel rabbit pickup.

Anyone looking for an 01 green on black spd 1.8t GTI:cheesy:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Hey, congrats on the new arrival....the Viggen that is!

Make SURE you and the wife come up to Swedish Car Day in Boston in October http://www.swedishcarday.com/

There are a couple of issues you're going to want to correct with the Viggen (if they haven't been done already...) but other than that, you're going to love that car.

...and the dad of four, gimme a shout if you have any Dad-related questions!

Take care,

Mike...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't say anything about the Vig's capabilities, but we easily put 2 forward-facing Britax child car seats in my '02 9-3SE (5 door). Usually we use the MPV but a couple weeks ago we drove up to Cleveland to visit friends and threw a Britax Husky and a Britax Marathon into the back of my car and they fit fantastically.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts