SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 00 9-5 for possible purchase and the ignition was tampered with in an attempted theft. When I first looked at the car the ignition cylinder has trouble turning but after a bit if wiggling I was able to rotate the key and jump start and take it for a drive, actually drive pretty well. I return the next day to purchase and unsuccessful at jump starting
it again. The weird thing is even with the jumper cables hooked up for 15 minutes I have no sign of 12 bolts at the car like dome light, dash lights, headlights.. NOTHING. It did show a few digits in the dash for about 10 seconds very dimly and clicking at the head light relay in the engine bay relay box. I tried swapping it with another relay in the box and same thing.
I am assuming the ignition switch is bad causing electrical to stay in completely draining a weak battery but what would cause the complete lack of electrical activity while connected via jumper cables ? I did not purchase, still considering it but would like some help in possible cause of this symptom beyond the ignition switch. I think I can tackle that issue but unsure what other issues might be causing the lack of electrical activity ?

·
Registered
666 Posts
The battery could be shorted between its cells or so dead, it will not take a charge. Try putting in a known good battery and see what happens

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery could be shorted between its cells or so dead, it will not take a charge. Try putting in a known good battery and see what happens
Would a completely dead battery cause blackout while being jumped ? It shows nothing, I am assuming even with a completely dead battery I should get some sign of electrical activity like a dome light or headlight.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I’ve never had much luck jumping past a completely dead battery. But, do check the voltage at the battery to eliminate that as an issue. Standing voltage should be 12.2-12.4 volts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the car is still available I will take a battery from my 08 9-5 and see if anything changes. Stopped by a junkyard today and took the center console apart to access the ignition switch, wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
if you suspect the battery just disconnect the terminals from the battery and jump it without the battery. The car will run once it gets started. you can reconnect the battery (probably unless it is shorted) and drive it but it'll be dead again once you turn it off.

If that doesn't work then you might have an issue with one of the primary electrical cables. Teh Gen 1 cars had issues with the wire coming out of the battery to the starter/alternator corroding at the terminal and only with a couple of strands left hte car would not turn over or run (or charge) so check that as well.

·
Registered
666 Posts
As unclemiltie mentions, if you have a known good battery, Andy nothing happens, 9-5’s are prone to battery cable failure from internal corrosion That is where I would go next

1 - 8 of 8 Posts