SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bounced around considering cars and have found a 00 9-5 Aero Wagon. The issue I have is a really want a manual but would settle for an auto, but when looking at upgrades on GS it looks like the 00/01 trannies can handle less horsepower, or less upgrade is offered. Is this due to a limit in the HP the box can handle or is there some other consideration here I am not seeing?

Additionally, from a handling and enjoyment to drive perspective can anyone compare the experience of an aero wagon to say a 5 door hatch 9-3?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hello,

i have an 9-5 Aero Wagon.

I have an 4-Speed Auto. Transmission.

And i can´t go over 400NM of torque.

Horsepower you can get to about 280HP, but the torque have to be limitet to 400NM.

B.Regards

·
Registered
777 Posts
2000 Aero wagons do have issues with them, so if you don't mind spending some money on repairs you'll see that it is a great car when it works. The transmission in saabs are one thing that is almost fail proof. The transmission is very solid and can handle it if you do upgrade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this to say that if you want increased hp numbers you need to upgrade the transmission to post 00/01 spec? If so is this simply switching out transmissions?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Its not the bhp that kills the auto its torque (Nm)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
97NASD90 said:
Is this to say that if you want increased hp numbers you need to upgrade the transmission to post 00/01 spec? If so is this simply switching out transmissions?
But then you start asking yourself-- Why didn't I just wait until I found the 5 speed I really wanted? Chris 9-5 said once that the automatic with lots of horsepower was scary because in a corner, if you were accelerating out of it, it would shift down causing the wheels to spin and you to slide off the road. Personally, it is not worth the trouble -- at all. Find a 5 speed you like and go nuts.

Plus with the 5 speed you can put in a limited slip differential which is a must have for high horsepower cars and a tranny mount that significantly stiffens up the drivetrain.

Just wait... lol :cool:

·
Registered
350 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
But then you start asking yourself-- Why didn't I just wait until I found the 5 speed I really wanted? Chris 9-5 said once that the automatic with lots of horsepower was scary because in a corner, if you were accelerating out of it, it would shift down causing the wheels to spin and you to slide off the road. Personally, it is not worth the trouble -- at all. Find a 5 speed you like and go nuts.

Plus with the 5 speed you can put in a limited slip differential which is a must have for high horsepower cars and a tranny mount that significantly stiffens up the drivetrain.

Just wait... lol :cool:

Idk sliding around sounds kinda fun lol :lol:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Teckniec1999 9-5V6 said:
Idk sliding around sounds kinda fun lol :lol:
Not nose first! :eek: haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Prices for aero wagons seem to be all over the place...whats a good ballpark for a 00 aero wagon manual with decent mileage? KBB says somewhere around 8500 but everything I see on the market is at least 2k higher

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
A guy that worked at a dealer I went to reacently offered to buy my '00 Aero 5-speed for over KBB, but when I said no, he stated it's because a 5-speed version of the Aeros of this generation are very hard to find for some reason, at least in the U.S.. That could be the reason your having a hard time finding a steady price, but that's just a theory.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think that might be true that aero 5 speeds are difficult to find here. If you can find a 5 speed manual aero thats in decent shape I'd get it. The automatics are pretty decent though but it is a slight decrease in performance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Y'alls theories seem accurate as this has been my experience. I really want a red aero wagon 5 speed to match my Defender 90, which seems about a 1 in 1,000,000 shot right now. Manual Aeros seem hard enough to find let alone in red.

Would it be blasphemy to paint the roof white to match the D90?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
97NASD90 said:
Would it be blasphemy to paint the roof white to match the D90?
Yes. Haha It would look like a really big mini cooper.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
You can shift with the Auto lever as well... If I feel like powering out of a corner I will always downshift before the corner first, so that I don't need to worry about dropping a gear at the apex.

I think a manual would be fun, but the Automatic in these cars is also very good. With sport mode and the low down torque these cars put out, I don't really get bored like I do in naturally aspirated cars.

·
Registered
350 Posts
stipud said:
You can shift with the Auto lever as well... If I feel like powering out of a corner I will always downshift before the corner first, so that I don't need to worry about dropping a gear at the apex.

I think a manual would be fun, but the Automatic in these cars is also very good. With sport mode and the low down torque these cars put out, I don't really get bored like I do in naturally aspirated cars.

Yeah I like to do that sometimes too they pretty much give you all 4 gears.

·
Registered
222 Posts
97NASD90 said:
Y'alls theories seem accurate as this has been my experience. I really want a red aero wagon 5 speed
You just missed one at www.iqautos.com I was looking at it and thinking about picking it up when someone snagged it. Bright red 5-speed Aero wagon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it is the 04, its well out my price range...I'm looking for something in the 8-10k range, which ofcourse just limits me more. This car is intended for long distance cruising on the highway and weekends in NC occasionally. The Defender 90 pretty much drains all my money betweeen gas, mods, and maintanence so I need something more practical for driving 450 mile roundtrips to see the girlfriend.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
That's about one 17 gallon tank of gas for the 9-5! :cheesy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts